tugslike tugslike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/7/2011 19:38
Making a bio filter #1
Hi everyone, hope you're all enjoying the weather We're thinking of building a bio filter out of our raised pond and would like some advice if anyone has done similar or has some ideas to share. Our raised wooden pond has no fish in it. I was thinking of planting it up fairly thickly (with ideas please?) and a 6500 Lt per hour pump going from the big pond up hill one meter into the wooden pond where it would flow through the plants to the overflow back into the big pond. The big pond then has a 12,000 LTR pump going to a Saturn pre filter linked to a Trinamic filter with UV, which then goes back to the big pond. Do you think it's worth doing OR, could you think of a better way of doing it? Video to a link of our pond setup as of now. Thanks for possible help !!! pond
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/7/2011 22:35
Re: Making a bio filter #2
It looks fine to me. Why change it if its working?

You seem to be slightly confused between bio and veggie filter, please allow me to explain.

If your "filtration" is plants its called a "veggie filter"

A veggie filter is usually very shallow and ideally has removable trays. You plant things such as watercress in it. When it has grown you pull the tray out, eat or bin the grown plant. (Rabbit optional) and start again. It does not need deep water.

A biological filter has filter media such as flocor (Other makes of filter media are available) and filter sponges. This "set up" does need deep water.

If it is a large filter often it is divided into sections,the water flowing down through the first media, up through the second media, and down through the next media (and so on) for example, starting off with brushes, then flocor, then jap matting.

But often it works out less to buy a "large filter" than it does to make one because all to often it does not work how you expect, and so you end up spending quite a lot of money on it. (Unless you make it with concrete for a koi pond)
tugslike tugslike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 3/7/2011 7:06
Re: Making a bio filter #3
Thanks for putting me straight on that, I hadn't come across the term "Veggie" filter, cheers. The reason I want to do something along those lines is to make use of the raised pond and, I thought having a "veggie" type filter wouldn't be a negative thing? thanks for your info and feedback, very helpful.