550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #1
My Big Tank is cycled

Its water paremeters are

PH- 7.5
KH - 17
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 (maybe 2ppm)

So all is well after the 18 day cycling Period, the nitrates rose then fell, and ammonia levels go back to 0ppm with half a day..so bateria is present and working well.

My Two Stunning Orandas are in waiting in a little tank in my LFS(for a month now!) Although i am being charged ?4 a week to keep them reserved..They are worth it (they were ?50 each!!) They are both large red caps.

Should i Bring them both home together? Or just one at a time? What should i feed them and how much? The pet shop was very vague I was told just a sinking pellet once a day? But id like to give them live and frozen veg etc..

I have read that Red Cap Orandas should be limited on blood worm because of the bateria problems it can cause with their wens (their red caps!)

Advice much apriciated!

Kelly x

(Ps: ignore my profile info ive yet to update it!)
Owner of a Aqua Evasion 50- Cycled after 3weeks and 5 days!- It will be a species only tank but what??
Tom Boothby Tom Boothby
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Humberside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 11:29
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #2
Kelly,

I would personally bring one back at a time. The reason for this is that should there be anything wrong with the water, then only one fish would suffer. Adding two big fish to a newly cycled tank will have more of an impact than adding just one, so I would add one, then wait a week or so and then the other. As for feeding, I would feed once a day maximum. As they are fancies, a sinking pellet would be best as this stops them from getting swim bladder by gulping too much air in if fed flake at the surface. Do not over feed, as this will do more harm than good. As well, keep checking your water quality, as there will be a rise in something, probably a small bit of ammonia.

Tom :)
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 13:45
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #3
Wow, 550l - that is my dream tank.

Out of curiosity what filtration are you using? I am planning (although it'll be quite a way down the line) to get a 500l tank for my Orandas to replace my 200l but I keep umming and arring over what filtration to use.

I use an Eheim 2217 on the 200l so my original idea was to purchase an Eheim 2260 and partner that with the Eheim 2217 on the basis that the 2260 can do the biological filtration and the 2217 I'll fill with sponge & wool to handle the mechanical filtration & polish the water.

However I am now seriously considering installing a sump when I get this huge tank as the added benefits of the additional water volume / being able to hide equipment in there / easier water changes etc make it seem so appealing, not to mention the possible ??? saved on having to buy an Eheim 2260 and extra power that would demand.

Sorry for the long message but as you've just setup a tank and keeping the same fish as myself I couldn't help but ask.

P.S Are you just keeping 2x Orandas in there? If so they are going to get massive, great work
Chunk Chunk
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Sussex
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 13:56
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #4
that tank sounds amazing...

Any chance you can post up some pics?

Thanks!
Greenmonkeykelly Greenmonkeykelly
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 15:10
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #5
Will take some photos and upload later.. The idea is to keep just the two orandas..maybe a third later on in time as They seem to be quite social fish.

Ive the two external filters an Ehiem 2229 wet & dry filter- This has a big fitration of 1100 LPH and Faster decomposition of ammonia and nitrite etc.. the reviews on it seemed really good so i had to have one!

Also A Ehiem professional 2224 - which is designed for 250l but its extra filtration with lots of seachem de nitrate substrate.. to be on the safe side!

I did look the option of a sump but Decided that I'd stick to what I know at this stage!

kelly.
Owner of a Aqua Evasion 50- Cycled after 3weeks and 5 days!- It will be a species only tank but what??
Daisy Daisy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 19:51
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #6
Kelly, your tank sounds amazing..such a lovely size.
In your OP you said that your nitrates rose and then fell...did you mean nitrItes? Nitrate shouldn't be falling during a cycle..you want it to climb as it shows that the cycle is progressing.
Great news that your ammonia as dropping to zero so quickly, is your nitrite doing the same thing?
And my opinion on your how to introduce them query..for me it would depend what ppm you have cycled to. If you have been adding a lot of ammonia then the 2 fish should be fine to go in together, but if you haven't been adding a lot of ammonia then add the fish one by one.
Good luck with it
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/6/2011 21:19
Re: 550L Now Cycled! But how should i introduce my two Orandas? #7
Daisy is right there - if cycling is complete and you did it to a good level then there is no reason they can't go in at the same time But as she says, if it was only a small amount of ammonia then best to play it safe and add one then the other - I'm afraid I can't remember what level you cycled to - can you remind us?

On the food thing - sinking pellets are great for fancies but not just the one pellet per day! Feed lightly to begin with and then you'll need to up the rations while keeping an eye on water quality

How big are these fancies? And do you know how old? Size and age will affect, to a certain degree, how much you feed them so a little more info would be great
It's Not Just A Fish