(1) 2 »
Anonymous  
How much time with Carbon? #1
I've finished a 5 day course of Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in my tank, with a days rest and now there's carbon in and I've done a 25% water change. How long should I leave the carbon in before I use another type of medicine?

Cheers
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 11/6/2011 21:10
Re: How much time with Carbon? #2
At least 24 hours, probably better 48. What's up? (sorry if I have missed a thread)
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Anonymous  
Re: How much time with Carbon? #3
Cheers

My baby oranda had a bad bacterial infection, which the Maracyn has dealt with, but now my Ryukin is all wonky with a swim bladder problem They've been on peas for 3 days with no luck so next step is medicine.

This reminds me, I keep forgetting to check my levels after the Maracyn!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/6/2011 19:28
Re: How much time with Carbon? #4
Hi Grim

Are these fishies still in the 90 litre? Given how one of them has grown they may be needing an upgrade which can help with general health issues.

Do you have any readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate just so it can be ruled out?
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: How much time with Carbon? #5
Yeah still the 90L I'm afraid, although I'm finally at the point where I can start looking for 2nd hand tanks again (and have been doing) so it's more a case of waiting for the right tank to turn up on eBay.

Ammonia and Nitrite were at 0ppm, I don't normally check pH and Nitrate as they rarely fluctuate as we have liquid chalk and I do 20L water changes with thorough gravel siphoning - I'll sort them out when I get home just to double check though.

I think the new Oranda brought something in with her as it's only a few weeks since I picked her up and most of that time I've had to have meds in the tank - will teach me to Q tank!

The Ryukin has responded to the new meds, put in last night after another 20L water change and 36h of carbon, by making more long white string poos and floating near the bottom of the tank instead of head down next to the filter.
Anonymous  
Re: How much time with Carbon? #6
The Ryukin is still having difficulty, she rolls over onto her back easily and seems to find it annoying - she can right herself easily but can end up swinging back and forth. She stopped eating for a couple of days but seems to have developed an appetite again, but I have to feed floating food as she finds it too difficult to bottom-feed

Hoping she'll be sorted before it's time to move to the new tank:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... id=281264#forumpost281264
Daisy Daisy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/6/2011 20:03
Re: How much time with Carbon? #7
Did you do a nitrate test?..some fish can be sensitive to changes and as you've added an extra fish your bioload will be higher, meaning more nitrate.
Anonymous  
Re: How much time with Carbon? #8
No, I keep forgetting to - but the Oranda is a replacement for a fish that I had to put down so the Bioload should not have gone up.

Just a few days before the tank change! I know the new one isn't exactly huge but it should be good enough at 160L and 100cmx40cmx40cm

The Ryukin is still wobbly, but had her final dose of meds today - hopefully the last few days and new tank will get back back to normal.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/6/2011 19:41
Re: How much time with Carbon? #9
Hi

Elevated nitrate should be the first thing to test for and thus rule out if you are having 'floaty' problems with fancies. It can often trigger such behaviour.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: How much time with Carbon? #10
I didn't know that, although I did know it could make them sick.

Tests say it's about 10ppm which is normal for my tank iirc