Lorraine101 Lorraine101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/6/2011 8:07
GREEN WATER #1
A good morning to you all..hopefully one of your kind knowledable people can help me here. As i've said before i've just built a pond for the first time and having let the pond fill with rainwater over several months i found i had to use Algorem to clear the "rubbish" out of it but the water is still green. I've just tried using Bermuda Banish Green Water treatment about 5 days ago but still cannot see any difference. Do you think i need to do a water change or something. Your help is very much appreciated as always.
Thanks in advance
steve. steve.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2011 12:03
Re: GREEN WATER #2
How big is your pond and have you got a filter system set up?

I have a small pond which is natural, full of plants and stays crystal clear on its own with no help, the fish seem fine and all water samples come out fine.

I have another small pond with bigger fish and hardly any plants, this always had a filter system running but when it started going green too often I purchased a small UV unit which makes the green algae clump up so it can get caught in the filter.

I am now in the process of building a 3500 gallon pond, this went very very green but once I installed the 55w UV lamp and filter system the water was clear after about a week.

So in my experiance if you can, get a UV lamp running on a filter system to clear your green water problem. But make sure it is the correct size for the pond, if its too small it will not clear the water and if it is too big you will waste money buying it and running it.

I hope this helps a bit
Steve
Lorraine101 Lorraine101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 8/6/2011 13:01
Re: GREEN WATER #3
Hiya Steve, its only a small preformed pond and i've had a pump and a separate filter (with uv light) running for about two weeks, I also have several marginal plants (in pots) around the edge. Maybe i'm just being impatient
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 8/6/2011 21:52
Re: GREEN WATER #4
Hello Lorraine101, welcome to the joys of having a pond, in order to help, I need some more information please.

What are the physical dimensions of your pond?
Length width and depth

What is the make and model of your pump?

What is the make and model of your U.V.

How Long do you leave the pump and U.V. running for?

What is the make and model of your bio filter?

What did you do to support the purple slate? (previous post)

Any chance of a picture of the pond, it would help immensely.

I presume you still have no fish?
Lorraine101 Lorraine101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 9/6/2011 8:08
Re: GREEN WATER #5
Hiya 2010 i will have to get that other information for you and post but the pump is a Bermuda 1500 Pond Pump and the filter is a Hozelock Easyclear 2000 but both pump and filter are running 24/7. Yes we did buy some fish 5 comets and 5 shubunkins (sp!) and they are doing really well. As for the slate we didn't both going down that route in the end but at some point i am looking at putting some rocks/slate in just to add some structure to it.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/6/2011 22:12
Re: GREEN WATER #6
Thanks, I am bemused though.

A Hozelock Easyclear 2000 is "an all in one" (its not just a filter) and a Bermuda 1500 is a pump. (Which you said it is)

So my question is, which do you have?

Pond dimensions would still be good, as would a pic.
Lorraine101 Lorraine101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 10/6/2011 9:27
Re: GREEN WATER #7
we are using both. We bought the "pump" and then realised that it wasn't a filter aswell so when we bought the "filter" we decided not to use the "pump" would be a waste of money hence we are using both (like I said we are beginners to this and obviously a bit stupid). I will get measurements this weekend and post. In saying that it does look a bit clearer, as I said maybe i'm just being impatient.
Thanks for your replies anyway
ultrasonic ultrasonic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 19/6/2011 14:45
Re: GREEN WATER #8
Hi all need some help i have a pond 3.5mx2mx1m up untill about 5 weeks ago my pond was crystal clear and i decided to clean out the filter and replace the pond uv.
i use a biotec 10 with a 25 w uv.
have tried three things to clear the pond blanket weed the answer blangdon green away and tetra pond clear and nothing has worked in fact i think its getting worse.
All water samples come back as being ok not sure what to do next have attached photo.

any help Paul

Attach file:

jpg  (708.27 KB)
13435_4dfdfd66df647.jpg 2592X1944 px
tugslike tugslike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 2/7/2011 19:13
Re: GREEN WATER #9
Hi, how long have you had the pond established with the set up you have now? only ask to see if the water was clear for a long time before the problem arose. How did you clean the filter out and how often do you clean it? When we set our pond up years ago we went through 3 filter/pump systems getting bigger each time until we conquered the water problems. In our experience get a good LARGE filter system with a big flow rate pump in the first place and clean it REGULARLY. Our pond set up was far too small to cope with dirty water until we learned through experience. Hope this is some help? If your system was coping well before, i.e.: for a season or so; best to ask if something in the environment changed. Anyway, best wishes....Tugslike