(1) 2 3 »
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/5/2011 16:07
Thinking of building pond, #1
Hello all I am looking to build a koi pond when we move into our new house in July, We went down to a shop that has been highly recommended by a good friend. We went in and asked about building a pond that would be suitable to keep koi they had a raised 2000 gallon pond there they are sing to sell fish from there and me and my dad agree that that would be a good size to have, the garden is not huge but it would fit in. We talked to the shop owner about our options, we want it in the ground but there are two large cherry trees in the garden but they are getting the chop but I have a big worry about roots! The man in the shop said we should get the best liner they have but being a regular FK forum user I had seen 2010?s article about koi ponds about using concrete but he did not mention this even after I said about roots. He said that we should make the pond 6 ft wide 4ft deep and 10ft long but would this be suitable for a koi carp?s needs? I do want a pond that is going to last and not get split because that would be enough stress to do me over. We then moved on to filters he suggested we use Oase Biosys Set 3 Screenmatic but I had forgotten to ask about pumps! Has anyone got any ideas what filter or pump?s i should buy? I was looking at a kockney koi KF 10000 they say they are suitable for a 2000 gallon pond but they are huge so would they be suitable for below ground? I am not sure if I should trust this guy and he is not just trying to flog me what crap he has left in the back room and I know some advice he gave me is as he said I could add fish 3 days after filling the pond! I would love if anyone could advise me on how to build my new pond and the equipment I need incl UV.

CB
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

www.midlandspondservices.co.uk
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2011 17:52
Re: Thinking of building pond, #2
bump?
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

Ch1998 Ch1998
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/5/2011 18:01
Re: Thinking of building pond, #3
i didnt really follow that but if this answers it, i have a very small pond i used pond liner. its pretty crap. it has split twice and i have had 2 incredible tiring days of work. i would therefore use a solid ready built one. i understand your worry about the guy selling you leftover rubbish. i can not be much help of the filter but i hope this helps you atleast a little bit
Original Image
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/5/2011 14:56
Re: Thinking of building pond, #4
There don't ake ready made ones with 2000 gal

Anonymous  
Re: Thinking of building pond, #5
If you are going to keep koi you need to be looking at spending at least ?6000 minmimum on the cheap, or more realistically almost double that. This is for costs to cover things such as concrete for foundations and pond base, Solid blocks, Cement and plasticiser or fibreglass to water proof the pond, pumps, filter, filter & underground pipe work, bottom drains, surface skimmers, etc. You need a minimum of 5 foot deep but preferably 6 - 7 foot, 8 foot wide and 10 foot long. Thats really a minimum of 13592 litres or nearly 3000 gallons. The filter is the minimum you are going to need and you need pumps that are going to shift 15,ooo litres/Hour from the filter back to the pond, the water leaves the pond via gravity via the bottom drains and the surface skimmers. You need this much size and equipment as koi are very messy, and can grow up to 36 inches long and become very big bodied. They can live for many years and the initial cost of doing this properly is wotrth the outlay. If you have a pond the size you have quoted you can still put common goldish in with shubunkins, Tench and Rudd etc. But solid build is still best as liners still can rip even though they say they "shouldn't". In adition to the pond you also need to house the filtration in a good shed or a purpose-built filter dugout with all the proper electrics fitted including RCDs and a separate fuse box.

KOI take a lot of good equipment to look after properly. Think very seriously whether you want koi or not as they are not cheap to keep aas the water like many other fish requires to be extra pristine and a lot of it.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 20/5/2011 20:53
Re: Thinking of building pond, #6
Have you seen 2010's stickies about koi ponds and pond building CB? Just checking
It's Not Just A Fish
Anonymous  
Re: Thinking of building pond, #7
Quote:

Coolboy 3100 wrote:
but being a regular FK forum user I had seen 2010?s article about koi ponds about using concrete but he did not mention this even after I said about roots.

CB

Hi Suey from CBs original post.
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/5/2011 21:08
Re: Thinking of building pond, #8
I am going to write myself a plan in a month or so when my exams are over very very important time for me now, gotta keep my eyes on the prize right?

I will run it past you here so we can make adjustments, but we do want to keep Koi because I have always wanted a big pond so I can sit around it for a few hours on a summers evening with a pint of the finest...

Anonymous  
Re: Thinking of building pond, #9
Well if you do go for Koi then you are going to need the minimum size of 10 x 8 x 5foot. No smaller, or it will be like putting a common goldfish in a 75litre tank. Same problem just a lot bigger. And the filtration must be spot on also. You have asked and we have given the answer. If you cant afford or do not have enough room then dont have, choose something else. It is just the same with ponds as with tanks.
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/5/2011 21:54
Re: Thinking of building pond, #10
Ok, so it will have to be 10 x 8 x 5, I will dig down 6ft put 1ft of concrete at the bottom and was thinking of building breeze blocks walls around the outside (compensating for the block size) and then using quality pond liner, Im not sure thats the right thing to do but it will stop the roots if they carry on growing after we chop the tree.

I don't quite get how to plumb up a filter :/. I was thinking of buying a Kockney 10000 multi bay filter they go for about ?400 on eBay.