(1) 2 »
MagicMatt MagicMatt
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/5/2011 21:23
Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #1
I came across this looking for a way to remove Nitrate, and possibly to soften my water supply.

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=54

Surely that would last me forever if I'm only using it to get water for my tank... and it costs <?40.

What's wrong with my thinking here? Am I missing something that should be obvious, or is this really a nice solution? I'm thinking plug it on my outside tap once every couple of weeks, fill a bucket with water... job done... ??
Anonymous  
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #2
I would be sceptical at that price. If you check out the spelling on the page there are a number of mistakes in spelling and grammar. I would ask around and search to see if there are any bad reviews of the company etc.
Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/5/2011 21:30
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #3
Hey matt.

It depends really, I'm pretty sure that for every ( for example) 5-10 litres of normal water, you'd get 1 litre RO water out of that. (sorry can't be sure on exact figures but I'll look it up and get back to you)

If your house is on a water meter this can be very expensive. Though someone may correct me on this.

My boyfriend looked into it but cause he's on a water meter ( which I think most new houses are?) it was gonna be really expensive.

HTH

Pril
I can't see you...but I know you're there
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/5/2011 21:42
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #4
Hi

I actually have one of these and it works well, just as you'd expect, but the connections on mine were a bit leaky when it first arrived. OK after I refitted them.

However, I wouldn't advise it for just a bucket or so a week as you do need to flush it through if using that infrequently. I probably wouldn't use it on a tap adapter either - it's built to a budget and while fine plumbed in, I think it's maybe a bit flimsy for constant reattachment and removal.

Also, even if you only put a relatively small amount of water through per week the membrane and filters will still need renewing every six months or so, and you'll need a TDS meter too, to check that it's functioning properly.

Those drawbacks aside, in my case it's plumbed in where it won't be disturbed and functions very well. Reduces TDS from 192 ppm to about 7ppm and removes 40ppm of nitrate completely.
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 0:23
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #5
I'm not sure about the website but I've seen it for sale elsewhere and people say it works OK, but it's just a cheap 3 stage unit. You're better off spending ?10 - ?20 extra on a sturdier second hand 4-stage unit which will last a lot longer and probably come with built in TDS meter and fixtures
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 3:14
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #6
Hadn't noticed the price there was ?40 - only paid ?29 for mine (eBay), and have just added a 4th stage for ?12 more.

I've also just bought an auto shut off kit after the 3rd time of flooding the downstairs loo by thinking - "Mmmm .... 5 minutes and that container'll be full" and then disappearing onto a certain fihkeeping site for 1/2 an hour until reminded by OH shouting about the "bl**dy water everywhere"!!
MagicMatt MagicMatt
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 3:24
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #7
Ok - plus side, no water meter. I'd use the other water too - most likely to water the garden, wash the car, etc. as from what I understand the run off water is still actually usable.

Typos on the site - seen them everywhere, even a few times on the likes of Argos, B&Q etc. Product manufacturers are not always very careful with the spell check. Even more so if the product is Chinese/Japanese import! (see http://www.engrish.com/)

The nitrate is the main thing I was trying to remove. If it's going to need flushing etc. though then probably more hassle than it's worth.

Maybe I can make my own unit to distill the water (ie boil and catch the steam and condense). I'm lead to believe that works too, though I'd need to cost up power usage (gas in this case as it's cheaper than electric) as again it might not be worth it.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 3:36
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #8
Just for removing nitrate, I used to use the Swallow nitrate filter - basically a tube with a hose connection for the tap on one end, filled with a resin that removes nitrate. Needs to be recharged after each 800 gallons by syphoning a couple of gallons of saltwater through in the opposite direction. They were about ?15, but have recently been discontinued.

However, Cathie mentioned there was something similar at one time called the Nitragon filter - don't know if it's still available, but may be worth a look. Also I saw instructions for a DIY version on the net once, but don't have a record of where. Googling DIY nitrate remover might work.

The other option is the Pozzani filter which is permanently plumbed in and has it's own tap, but I think that's quite expensive.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 14:18
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #9
You do have to plumb a Pozzani in but you don't have to have a dual system with drinking water tap so you can do it quite cheaply if you just want to fill buckets from a hose, this one starts at ?35

Nitragon are discontinued but you sometimes get a second hand one on ebay

http://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-treatm ... ers-185/product_info.html

The thing about RO is not to do it unless you really need to - you are legally supposed to tell the water company if you have a RO unit and they can (and will) require you to have a meter
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
DazC DazC
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Humberside
  • Posted on: 4/5/2011 16:39
Re: Too good to be true.... right? (Reverse Osmosis) #10
I've just got that Pozzani one Cathie recommended it takes my 40ppm+ tap water to 0ppm. So it gets my vote :)