DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 20:12
Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #1
Hello all, my first post so hope im in the right forum.

Ive moved house and the new house has a large pond in the background. Ive written to the previous owners and apparently it is a 3000 gallon pond. It is in kind of figure of 8 shape although very fat in the middle if you get my drift. Like 2 circular ponds joined together, one circle slightly larger than other. The large 'end' is about 5' deep the smaller end about 3-4' deep I estimate. Length of pond about 12' and width 6' at widest.

There are conduits already laid that would accept pipes from pumps to filters etc. Previous owners have advised me not to use a brick lined covered pit they had dug near to the pond as it was back breaking work trying to clean out the filters.

So I want a new pump and a filter(s). I would prefer not to spend ?700+ which is the sort of prices Ive seen on various internet sites for Hozelock or Oase sets. If I could make a DIY filter and purchase a pump and perhaps a UV lamp that may be best.

Does anyone have any advice on what bits to get, where to buy the pump, eco one if possible, and if it is possible to build a DIY filter box(es) and use sponges from Wilkinsons or somewhere in it?

I would like to put some small Koi in it once its up and filter running. I have already seen a Heron land on the garage roof at the bottom of the garden so may need advice on that before I buy fish as well! Apparently fishing line stretched round the pond on canes about 1' above and from edge of the pond can work.

Any advice most welcomed. If desired I can put some photos up of the pond and pit.

Many thanks
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 21:00
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #2
Welcome to the best part of the forums DorsetDude.
Pictures always welcome.
DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 18/4/2011 19:53
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #3
Ok some phots added.
Length of pond is about 16 foot, width about 8 or 9 foot at widest.

Pit thing is about 7 foot by 3 foot but I have been advised not to use it.

Any thoughts?

I think an Oasis Clear Pond 50 Filter & Pondpush 12000 might be ok.
DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 18/4/2011 20:15
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #4
5th attempt
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 18/4/2011 21:04
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #5
To make viewing the pictures easier.......

Resized Image
Pond Length

Resized Image
Pond Width

Resized Image
"Pit thing" with lid

Resized Image
"Pit thing" with lid removed

Very clear pictures, well done. I have replied to both posts in this one, to make life easier.

A few questions:

Who said you should not use the ?pit thing? (and why)

The ?pit thing? is (was) the pond filter, and some one has removed the filter media, which by the looks of what?s left was flocor

Are the pipes still connected from the filter to the pond? (I am wondering, as there is no water in the filter.) It seems a shame to waste it if it can still be used.

How deep is the pond?

Fishing line around the pond can stop herons, until they figure they can step over it, or land in the pond.

Part of the function of a filter is to remove solids, so in order to do this you do need a pump which can pump solids. The most favoured pump for this has to be the Oase aquamax series. (Try a well known auction site)

As for which hoses etc, most pumps come with hose tails so all you need to do is supply the correct size of hose. (The bigger the better) and cut the hose tail to size. All hoses should be secured to the hose tail.
DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 19/4/2011 9:51
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #6
Quote:

2010 wrote:
A few questions:

Who said you should not use the ?pit thing? (and why)

The previous owners of the house/pond. Apparently it was a real pig to clean out. Back breaking was the word they used. I can believe it.

Quote:

The ?pit thing? is (was) the pond filter, and some one has removed the filter media, which by the looks of what?s left was flocor

I find that hard to believe as the pit seems to smell strongly of oil or something. I thought they had the filter boxes sitting in this pit although I could be wrong. If the media was just piled in, how on earth did they clean it and direct the flow through various media?

Quote:

Are the pipes still connected from the filter to the pond? (I am wondering, as there is no water in the filter.) It seems a shame to waste it if it can still be used.

the 2 central 'pipes' in the wall I think are just conduit. When I buy a pump I would feed the 40mm or whatever through this from the pond. One goes to a return little waterfall the other is the feed from the pump. Not sure what the pipe on the right - lower down is for. I keep meaning to get my garden hose and shove it up there to see where it emerges.

Quote:

How deep is the pond?

I think about 4' - 5' in the deepest end, which was where the pump lived when they had it going.

Quote:

Fishing line around the pond can stop herons, until they figure they can step over it, or land in the pond.

I think the pond sides may be too steep for a heron to stand, at the deep end anyway. Perhaps netting over the shallow end also may help.

Would it be possible to get a multi stage filter including vortex perhaps and sit that in the pit? Perhaps raised up a bit on breeze blocks or something. Other wise I am still tempted to go for the Pond clear 50 and site it in/on the gravel to the rear of the pond.

Thanks for the replies!
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/4/2011 22:29
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #7
To be honest, I have no idea how the ?pit? worked, unless you run water through it or follow the pipes, neither of us will ever know.

To clean it would have been ?back breaking work? because it looks poorly designed. (But that?s for another time)

Having now seen it and reading what you have said, I would be inclined to buy an external filter (and UV) and install it some where near to the pond, ignore the pit.

Yes you can get a filter and vortex chamber all in one, your favourite company make one.

Resized Image

But I would still install it near the pond, it may not even fit in the pit, oh and UV is NOT included.

What ever filter / pump you opt for make sure it can cope with your pond. (A small box filter will be too small)
DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 20/4/2011 11:31
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #8
Quote:

Having now seen it and reading what you have said, I would be inclined to buy an external filter (and UV) and install it some where near to the pond, ignore the pit.

We are in agreement.

Quote:

your favourite company make one

Huh? Canon? Wilkinsons? I can't read the label on that picture so I dont know who you mean. Any chance of bit more detail or a link to a website?

Quote:

A small box filter will be too small

Indeed, which is why I thought the pondclear 50 would be ok. Its more medium/large than small.

Regards
DorsetDude DorsetDude
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Posted on: 20/4/2011 11:48
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #9
Footnote

Think I've found it- Oasis vortec. Looks to cost more than I want to pay - upwards of ?300 just for the filter and no doubt they'll want to charge you extortionate amounts for the foam etc that fit in it.

I dont want to be spending more than ?300 odd for filter and pump ideally. If this means I cant put Koi in and have to stick with goldfish - so be it.

Regards
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/4/2011 21:41
Re: Inherited Koi Pond minus filters etc #10
Koi are not a "cheap fish" to either buy or look after. Like any fish, you have to keep the water quality at its best, and that means very good equipment, koi are also not a beginners fish, so I would say that at this time perhaps they are not for you.

You may want to read THIS LINK