As far as I know, usually a waste of time. Most contain salt (why would you want to add this to fresh water fish long term)?
and a laxative of some kind! Are your fish bunged up?
Aquatic salt short term, for some symptoms yes, such as nitrite poisoning, but not long term. Has to be aquatic salt, table salt has all other kinds of nasties in it such as anti- caking additives etc - so completely unsafe for fishies.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Wow, that was a lot to take in. So not to be overused. I'm trying to raise the pH in my pond, from 5.0 to 7.0, i used to use rock salt, but just a little and have stopped since introducing sterlets. Terrano
For freshwater fish salt is (IMO) best thought of as a medication rather than something you would use all the time. Used against things like nitrite poisoning, general stress and certain parasites it can be very effective and take less of a toll on the fish than over-the-counter medications. If you use it all the time this will more than likely reduce its effectiveness if you do need to use it as a med.
On the subject of PH - how good an understanding of the GH/KH/PH triangle do you have? Do you have a GH/KH test kit? Have a read of these articles for more info: