SarahF SarahF
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/2/2011 17:58
Shrimp and Assassin Snails #1
Hello everyone,

I've come back sheepishly with my tail between my legs having been gone so long and now I need answers to my lastest wierd question please.

Do Assassin snails eat Amano Shrimp?

I've googled it earlier but other than 1 referance to they probably couldn't catch them, didn't find anything.

The problem is that my assassin snails can really really move and my shrimp stay in one place for a long time, often oblivious to the tank around them.

The lovely boyfriend bought me 5 tiny shrimp in October/November and I barely ever see any (no more than 1 at a time) so yesterday he bought me 5 more (I keep moaning about algae on each bit of gravel) and this time they are BIG ones.

This morning I come down and there is a shrimp casing/shell sitting on some java moss. At lunch time there is another shrimp casing/shell sitting behind an ornament.

Are they shedding? Or are they being eaten by the snails?

Water readings

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH 7.8

Thanks Sarah xx
Formerly rubbish fishkeeper.
SarahF SarahF
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 20:56
Re: Shrimp and Assassin Snails #2
This morning I found another shell so I took a picture hoping it would be helpful.

When I came home from work there were 4 big shrimp playing away around the tank and 3 little ones on the filter. Sadly there was one still and lifeless big one on the bottom.

Hoping that these pics will help someone else in my position in future. If you find a case like this, don't panic. The bodies look quite different.
SarahF SarahF
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 21:16
Re: Shrimp and Assassin Snails #3
Spot me being blonde! Forgot to put the photos in.

Original Image

Original Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 22:14
Re: Shrimp and Assassin Snails #4
Hi SarahF

Assassin snails do not eat shrimp IMHO, having had both in the past long term, with no problems at all

Assassins slurp other snails, yum

Some larger tetra/fish will sometimes see snails as a snack though (tetra are meat eaters of course and related to the pirahna family).

Attacks would tend to result in several bits of shell if this is the case. Shrimp do molt/discard shells too though as they grow so it could be a 'full' molt as opposed to someones lunch. The pic looks like a full molt to me.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 22:14
Re: Shrimp and Assassin Snails #5
You're not the first to have been 'fooled' by a shedding shrimp - fear not Shame one of them didn't make it but good news the others are ok

Great photos btw, thanks for adding them - I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll find them useful
It's Not Just A Fish