(1) 2 »
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/2/2011 16:36
Cold weather problems in pond #1
Hi All. This is my first post so i will try to give as much info as poss.
Newish pond, may 2010, 2000 gallons, 10Ft x 5Ft x 4Ft.
2 8' sterlets, 4-5 6' Kio, 1 10' G Orfe, 6 3-4' Koi, 6-8 carp various size.
Filter; Blackbox gravity (6 layers filter media), pump; Titan 3000, Uv and heater.

After the really cold spell (scotland) i lost two goldfish, i worked out it was nitrate/nitrite poisoning, removed heater and switched off uv, did 50% waterchange, used bacterlife P, and re-tested water weekly once stable.

Today i noticed the orange goldies have white patches on their fins and body, i have been sparingly feeding them because the sterlets eat all year round.

Any i dea what this is, i did read that it could still be N2/N3 but it is reading the lowest on the range.
Thanks in advance.
Byg Nyge Byg Nyge
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/2/2011 18:47
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #2
Hello Terrano welcome to FK,
It could be carp pox - waxy lumps - usually on fins according to many koi suppliers all koi carry it but it does'nt always develop into anything, low temperatures can bring this on, if it is pox as the water heats up it should disappear, other than that it could be fungal, you could try the proprietry treatments
available. I still have my heater on and uv on and one of my koi has pox, it had it when I was bringing it on in an indoor tank but cleared before I put in the pond, this was its first winter out so might not be acclimatised yet, none of the others are affected. Other than that I'm at a loss really. Just a quick aside - sterlets can grow to over a metre in length and can seriously damage other fish with their boney thorn type scales.

Regards

Byg bNyge
:Where there's life there's usually a tax
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 26/2/2011 19:05
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #3
Thank you Byg Nyge for you reply, i've google Carp Pox, i think i have seen this before, i think this is flush with the skin on both body and fins and ranges from about the size of a 5p to a 10p, do you still reckon it could be pox? I'll try to post an image tomorrow. Do you need to use photobucket for images?
Terrano
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 27/2/2011 21:54
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #4
This is the worst affected one, it's diff to see but it looks much more obvious in the water. Thanks. Terri

Attach file:

jpg  (1,976.66 KB)
12870_4d6ac46a852dc.jpg 2560X1920 px
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 28/2/2011 20:27
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #5
I've bought some ACRIFLAVINE, which i think i'll treat with tomorrow.
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 19:38
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #6
Didn't treat the pond, too cold 42 has to be 48. So took water sample to expert, can't believe how bad the pH is 5.0, these test strips didn't actually say what is normal. I'm very annoyed as i could've picked up on this ages ago.
Anyway upshot is i've bought some coral sand to add to pond to raise pH, and i'll quarantine the affected fish inside to treat, and when the weather warms up i'll treat the pond. Sounds like a plan to me. Even though i think i am talking to myself.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 19:51
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #7
Hi Terrano, to me that looks like septicaemia which is normally associated with poor water quality, have you got any recent test results?
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 20:04
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #8
Hi Jellybean, Thanks for your reply, i though septicaemia was like blood streaked fins, can it be treated?
Nitrite - zero
Nitrate - zero
Hardness - correct (however you say it)
pH - 5.0
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 20:21
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #9
Septicaemia is a symptom of poor water quality, so when you say ?can it be treated? that ultimately means improving the water.

Have you got a reading for Ammonia?

NitrIte at 0 is a good indication that things can?t be too bad, NitrAte at 0 though...it?s not possible... can you retest?

Tap water will always have NitrAte to some degree, always less than 50ppm though, fish breath, poop etc which will all go through the cycle with the end result being NitrAte so to have a reading of 0 is a puzzle.

Your PH is very very low, have you got anything in or near the pond which could be leaching into the water and reducing PH? whats you tap PH after its been stood for 24 hours?
Terrano Terrano
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2011 20:31
Re: Cold weather problems in pond #10
I don't have a reading here for Ammonia, the guy who did the water test didn't say he had or hadn't done it though, the tubes for NO3 and NO2 were completely clear, the pH was obvious, i will check the tap water tomorrow, i'll leave some aside now, the test strips i have don't do ammonia, i will order the master kit tonight too.
The guy who did the test also phoned another expert to ask about treatments as he was to clued up on sterlets, he said everything was good except pH, so i took it he did Ammonia.
I wasn't able to get a buffer so am trying this coral sand, could it be because the pond is built against a wall? Rain onto mortar or would that have the reverse effect?
Thanks.