chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/7/2004 19:29
Question about water lilys #1
HI all

I have a lily in my pond that a neighbour gave me (dont know the name of it), it has grown like mad and now has 2 flowers on it and here lies the question. Do the flowers open everyday if it is sunny. These two flowers on mine have only opened once each on seperate days and ahve not opened since, they closed when the sun went in.

cant find answer in any of my pond books so i thought i would ask the geniuses on here.

regards

2 weeks for the UV to go on (whoppee)
chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 22/7/2004 23:55
Re: Question about water lilys #2
It seems first blooms are more variable than subsequent blooms, I have found subsequent blooms open daily for 3 days and shut by about 5pm.
Last year one of my lilies didnt bloom, this year I have had a white which I assume is the same lily, its first bloom opened only on one day, its on the second bloom now and today was day 1, so I shall see. Last year my blooms once opened stayed open even in the rain until, the above, 5pm-ish. Browsing
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/
may be bad for your soul or your wallet.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 23/7/2004 9:03
Re: Question about water lilys #3
HI Sean

thanks for answering, its just that when u go round other places ie stately homes (Im a National Trust lover as well), they ahve these massive ponds with hundreds of flowers open and i just wondered if it was a size thing. This lily i have off the neighbour is so exquisite, it is so perfectly formed that it does not look real, yellow centre they very white petals going through to a very pale pink.

My neighbour who gave it me has several lilys still in her pond and hers havent flowered yet!

Cheers again

Chopper

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 23/7/2004 9:11
Re: Question about water lilys #4
HI Sean

thanks for answering, its just that when u go round other places ie stately homes (Im a National Trust lover as well), they ahve these massive ponds with hundreds of flowers open and i just wondered if it was a size thing. This lily i have off the neighbour is so exquisite, it is so perfectly formed that it does not look real, yellow centre they very white petals going through to a very pale pink.

My neighbour who gave it me has several lilys still in her pond and hers havent flowered yet!

Cheers again

Chopper

• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 23/7/2004 16:10
Re: Question about water lilys #5
It ia a size thing, lily growing free will almost certainly grow and bloom better that a potted plant. I know someone who's lilies grow free. He is higher and therefore cooler than I am and about 6 weeks ago he had 1' pads on a lily of which I have a cutting and mine have yet to get over 4". He has a pink that had lord knows how many blooms on. Each lily would cover several sq m.
Lilac_Froggy Lilac_Froggy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/8/2004 14:36
Re: Question about water lilys #6
Lovely site Sean
I will send you the bill if I buy something from there
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 8/8/2004 18:42
Re: Question about water lilys #7
Dont you blooming dare, anyway I think its US and you wouldnt be able to import judging by the hassle I am having trying to get some tropicals lilies from Hawaii, EU leaf hopper and thrip regulations are an F' pain.
2pods 2pods
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 18/9/2004 20:34
Re: Question about water lilys #8
My lily was late going in (start of August),but I got plenty of pads and one bloom which opened and closed for three days, then closed permanently.

I was told the blooms don't last much longer

I upped a pic into the forum

Peter
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/12/2004 19:24
Re: Question about water lilys #9
Generally lilly flowers will only last for a couple of days. Lillies like you find in big NT ponds usually are free rooting with a large root area from which lots of blooms all at various stages of flowering will grow.

Leaf size is dependant on water clarity and the depth at which the root is below the surface. The deeper the water the more growth has to go into stem to get the leaf to the surface therefore leaf growth is less.