(1) 2 »
Anonymous  
Mouth Problem with Danios #1
I've lost 3 Danios and I'm about to lose a fourth to this disease.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppmish
90l tank with Fluval U4 and 2+, 10 danios, stunted Oranda and young 2" Ranchu.

The fish develops a small white sore or lump on it's mouth, and then a day or two later will be swimming about with its mouth jammed open. Later the same day, or next, it will be dead
I've no idea where to start, but was considering anti-whitespot/paracite with a high does of salt.

My Ranchu is also breathing fast but this may not be related.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 4/12/2010 11:17
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #2
Does it look fluffy at all? Could it be columnaris? Columnaris is bacterial - might be an idea to get the goldies separated if it is spreading. Any chance of a pic of the affected one?
It's Not Just A Fish
pinksoul72a pinksoul72a
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/12/2010 11:35
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #3
grim badger i have had that disease where the mouth looks like its open but has actually gone it gives the look of a fish with its mouth stuck open i have only had one fish with these symptoms and he died it could be mouth rot here is a link that may help http://www.jbl.de/uk/aqua/uk_krankbild.html its is a bacterial disease mouth fungus/mouth rot good luck hope its been of help
Anonymous  
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #4
Not very good pics but...

Attach file:

jpg  (43.24 KB)
10076_4cfa32f1044b9.jpg 499X453 px
Anonymous  
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #5
The whole jaw was definitely still there on the last one, as I checked after it had died.

Attach file:

jpg  (518.63 KB)
10076_4cfa33194a97c.jpg 1601X1441 px
pinksoul72a pinksoul72a
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/12/2010 13:49
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #6
HERE IS ANOTHER LINK FOR YOU I HOPE IT HELPS http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_p ... sease_identification.html
Anonymous  
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #7
Thanks, it looks like Enteric Red Mouth, but given what they say about its rareness I suspect it's a different bacteria causing similar symptoms. The sick fish is getting very red around the base of it's mouth and gills and is slowing down so I suspect it will die by tomorrow

I've put some Maracyn 1 in to treat the others and fingers crossed the sick fish may pull through.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/12/2010 22:21
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #8
Hi Grim

This post rang a bell with me and I remember seeing something on this site once about fish with lock jaw. It took me a while to locate it but it might be worth a read. Answered by LHG a previous and well respected disease adviser, it makes an interesting read.

Most cases of lock jaw (mouth open, can't close) seem to be related to general hustle and bustle in the tank, chasing, gravel injuries, banging into decor it seems as opposed to water quality as such. The jaw bone is one of the finest bones a fish has and is easily damaged resulting in a break. Just type in 'mouth open fish' in google and see!

Given that multiple fish are being affected though after showing signs of an initial white blob, this can also be bacterial and LHG mentions mycobacterium as a rarer cause of this symptom.

Full link here: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... wtopic.php?post_id=144187

Without a biopsy it will be hard to tell the cause but antibacterial meds seem highly likely. If fish TB could be at play here, keep any tank water away from your mouth when syphoning and no hands in the tank without gloves, if you do have any cuts etc. Best to play safe for now.

Must be very distressing watching this so I hope they pull through quickly. Fingers crossed.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #9
The sick one slowed and died the same day; given the rapid deterioration of the fish I suspect that it's an infection, but I'll keep an eye out for bone breaks
The possible haemorrhaging around the gills I think is another indicator of an infection.

No more have shown signs of the illness (yet) and one of the females is heavily gravid again so FX the meds are keeping whatever it is at bay - also my Ranchu is breathing much better
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 7/12/2010 22:38
Re: Mouth Problem with Danios #10
Sorry for the losses Grim

I still think it's bacterial too given the rapid onset.

Apologies if I mislead you there - the interesting part in the post I linked to mentioned some forms of bacterial infections also affect the actual jaw muscles, so the mouth snaps open and can't close (not always a broken bone) although the link does cover both problems. Hope the meds work ASAP. Keep us posted.

V
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti