Stuart1044 Stuart1044
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/11/2010 15:12
High Nitrate #1
Hey All

I am having some issues with my Nitrate levels, currently they are at 80ppm, they was 100+ the other day, but a 25% water change has brought them down. The tank is cleanish, but my live rock and other fake rock has some thick algae on there.

I am planning another 25% change on Sat morning, but was wondering about taking out the live rock and/or fake rock and rinsing them off, as well as syphoning whilst cleaning the gravel at the bottom, during this next change....

Cheers
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/11/2010 19:13
Re: High Nitrate #2
Rinsing it with what? Are you using RO water? You might want to check the nitrAte level before you add it to the tank, just to be sure. WHat test kit are you using?
Stuart1044 Stuart1044
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 5/11/2010 19:54
Re: High Nitrate #3
Hi

I was going to rinse with fresh salt water from LFS. I will be getting a fresh supply in the morning you see, so was going to rinse using some of that in a bucket first before syphoning and then topping up the tank.

I can check the Nitrate level of the water I get to be sure,yes. I am using API saltwater master kit (ph,ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)
Anonymous  
Re: High Nitrate #4
do you know the TDS reading of the LFS water??

also what do you have in tank stock wise? and waht is your feeding regime?
Stuart1044 Stuart1044
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/11/2010 1:14
Re: High Nitrate #5
Not sure on the TDS reading...

I have two clowns, two yellow tail damsels and a blood shrimp....Tank is 125 Litres.

Feeding is very little at the moment in a effort to reduce the nitrate
Anonymous  
Re: High Nitrate #6
how long has tank been running for?
Stuart1044 Stuart1044
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/11/2010 11:26
Re: High Nitrate #7
Tank has been running for about 15-18 months now, just that recently the levels have gone up, and i was going to take the live/fake rock out gently rinse off the algae, then syphon the gravel with no rock in to get the hard to reach areas. Then put the rocks back in and then top the water up
Anonymous  
Re: High Nitrate #8
have you had a clean up crew in there? do you run any macro algae like chaeto because that could help. What media do you run?
Stuart1044 Stuart1044
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/11/2010 12:12
Re: High Nitrate #9
There are also two hermit crabs in there and I did have a cleaner shrimp, who dies last week.

Is it ideal to take out the rock or should that be left and just perform the water change, and clean the skimmer and external filter
Anonymous  
Re: High Nitrate #10
Do water changes but don't take rock out. You have gravel in your marine tank or sand? You never had any snails in your tank?