dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/10/2010 19:53
Pond plants #1
what does everyone reccomend doing with there pond plants at this time of year ? do they get left in or are they taken out until next year, lillies in particular
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 8:29
Re: Pond plants #2
I usually leave mine in but mine is a wildlife pond, not a fish pond. What other plants do you have and how deep is your pond?
small paul small paul
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Denbighshire
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 10:19
Re: Pond plants #3
lillies i take mine out take off any dead or large foilage split them if needed then put them back in my ponds
and generaly keep an eye on them until they die back

Attach file:

jpg  (5.49 KB)
12106_4cc7eea2ee13c.jpg 98X100 px
Resized Image
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 17:50
Re: Pond plants #4
some of the leaves a starting to discolour now over the past few months any leaves like that got snipped off and binned which seemed to help the others, lillies are the only plants i have they sit on a shelf 2ft down in a 4ft deep pond
rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 2/11/2010 15:06
Re: Pond plants #5
Hi,

For last winter I just cut all dying lilly pads away, but left any pads that looked healthy. Once winter started nothing seemed to happen to the plants, so I left them alone until spring.

I have 2 water lillys, some elodea crispa, and some water soliders. They all came back very well this year, even after the severe ice last winter. In fact I have had to regularly remove elodea crispa and water soldiers this year, as they have been growing like topsy.

New for this year, I have two hyacinth pickerel that are ~3ft down. They shot up a good three foot above the water line and both plants flowered. I have cut all the leaves back below the surface now as they were starting to turn. I hope they survive the winter!