(1) 2 »
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/10/2010 17:25
Celurpa #1
The aquarium has given me celurpa, I think thats what they called it. They said something about it being used to help stop nitrates and that. I dont have this problem in my tank.
Does anyone else put this in their tank?
Anonymous  
Re: Celurpa #2
Hi, it's called caulerpa, it does absorb nitrates/phosphates but I believe it grows really fast. I would personally choose chaeto as it's easier to maintain you just need to trim it every now and then to keep it in check and to transfer the nutrients from the tank. Even if you don't have nitrate or phosphate problems this is still a great benefit to the tank as it's also a place where pods can seek refuge.
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 25/10/2010 18:26
Re: Celurpa #3
Hi thanks for the reply.
I have river reef 90 tank and i see that most people put it in there seperate filtration tank. What do I do as i dont have this? I dont personally like the look of it in the tank. but have no where else to put it.
do you have any suggestions?
Anonymous  
Re: Celurpa #4
So are you saying your chambers are full and there's no room for it back there?
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 25/10/2010 18:45
Re: Celurpa #5
The tank only had 2 chambers for the filter system (1 has filter balls then the foam block, chamber 2 has bio-media stone looking things and carbon and a filter pad.) it all came with the tank so we followed the instructions they provided. There is not much room in the back for these plants.
thanks
Anonymous  
Re: Celurpa #6
Do you have live rock in your main tank? If yes then you don't need what you have in Chambers 1 & 2 as the live rock will act as your biological filtration. Most ppl run Carbon, Phos Remover and Filter floss along with their live rock.
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 25/10/2010 20:04
Re: Celurpa #7
I do have live rock in the tank.
Do i need to take all filteration stuff out or will it not hurt it being left in there?
Anonymous  
Re: Celurpa #8
Take it all out it's not needed at all, it may even cause nitrate problems later on.

How many KG's of live rock do you have in?
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 25/10/2010 20:19
Re: Celurpa #9
around 13kg of live rock.
Anonymous  
Re: Celurpa #10
awesome, that's more than enough, yeah you def can take out all that stuff and that'll free up some room back there.