charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/10/2010 19:08
tiny microscopic-like white bugs #1
I have been reserching what these little white swimming bugs are in my tank and read it is a good sign as they are forms of pod's.
I am pleased but now i am worried as i am not expecting my fish for another month, do you think i need them earlier to eat them?
all levels in the tank are good, PH 8.0, KH 180, NO2 & NO3 both 0
the tank got set up on the 23rd September and got the last of our live rock last friday and this came with loads of worm things, feather dusters and anenomes.

any advice would be great or suggestions.
thanks
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 19/10/2010 22:27
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #2
Don't worry about the pods they'll be just fine in fact the longer they are left before anything gets a chance to eat them the better as they can breed quite happily without being eaten!! Many people have 'refugiums' outside of the tank in the sump to provide a safe area for pods to breed without being eaten. The more pods the better for your reef and the animals when you put them in.

You say you have anemones on the rock what do they look like? google aptasia and see if this is what you have if so you will need to get rid of them as they are a pest.
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2010 12:30
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #3
Hi thanks for that. very helpful. i have spoken to my aqaurium and they said pretty much the same so very happy with the way the tank is going.
They are aptasia's i got 3 as far as i can see. How do you get rid of them? i hadnt realised they were a pest. thanks for the heads up on them
Thanks
Charl
Anonymous  
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #4
there are a few methods to try, some ppl take the rock out and blast the affected areas with boiling water or you could buy a couple true peppermint shrimps as they'll eat it.
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2010 16:29
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #5
Thanks, I have called my aquarium and will be getting 2 in a few weeks. Thank god you lot told me or i would have never know lol.
thanks
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 20/10/2010 16:35
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #6
Some people report mixed success with peppermint shrimps but in theory they should get rid of them. There are various products you can use to kill them too. Google Joe's Juice.
charl89 charl89
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2010 16:38
Re: tiny microscopic-like white bugs #7
ok will do. I thought i would try this natural method first plus it will be my first living thing i have bought. I can only see 3 well actually 1 has vanished in an afternoon so probably on the run lol. fingers crossed this will work.
thanks for the help