TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/10/2010 0:10
Boyu HS 60?????? #1
Have any of you guys any experience of the Boyu HS 60 Nano? I was set on an orca 550 until I came across this. Here's the link:

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aqu ... -litres-hs-60-4985-0.html

Now on the one hand the 150w MH lighting would sure increase the diversity of corals that could be kept but I'm a little worried about the heat factor. Those fans would have to be VERY efficient to keep the temperature down in an enclosed hood. That said though I've not heard of any problems with the deltec cube with a similar set up.
Anonymous  
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #2
I've come across ppl considering this tank but don't know anyone who has bought one. But i'm 100% confident ur gonna have heat issues. My friend in Glasgow has a DD 28g 150w Halide and he has temp issues which are sorted out by an extra 4 fans facing the back chambers as the hood doesn't cover them. This tank i'd say would require you to run a chiller to keep temps stable imo.
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 18/10/2010 10:58
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #3
Yes that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well. The chiller itself is not a huge problem, other than the fact that I'd rather not spend another couple of hundred on one!!, it's the plumbing of it in that tank. I reckon you can pretty much guarantee that the pump wouldn't be up to the job of feeding the chiller and returning the water and there doesn't look an awful lot of room in the final chamber for a bigger pump.
Anonymous  
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #4
Yeah I agree, if you went down the DD route at least you have space in the back to add things without cutting/modding the hood. You can pick up the DD for around ?350 these days I think they're much beter quality than the Orca's and my favourite all in one tank.
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 18/10/2010 11:10
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #5
Which deltec tank did you get the one with the pc lighting or the hqi? I was reading a thread on another forum about the hqi version. The guy, like you suggested, had bought a 4 fan cooling unit that he just had balanced on the cup of the protein skimmer. Apparently that kept the temp within acceptable ranges. I was wondering if the fans would clip onto the back of the chamber wall as they were designed to do. Only consideration then would be to find somewhere for a hang on skimmer to hang. If yours is the hqi how do you keep your temp down?
Anonymous  
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #6
I don't actually have the DD tank I was just saying if I was going to get an all in one it would be that tank. I believe you could fit a hang on deltec mce300 or mce600 skimmer where the left pump (as ur looking at at tank front) on and the spare chamber next where media basket fits. If you wanted to be able to keep any corals you wanted the HQI is way to go, but if you just fancy softies and some LPS and no temp issues then the pc lighting one will be fine.
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 24/10/2010 0:45
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #7
Well I've think I've solved my dilemma over MH and overheating. Just bought, or at least agreed to buy - pick up tomorrow, a second hand Aqua Medic Chromis at a price I couldn't ignore and it's less than 12 months old - Result. 21" cube so a bit more volume than the orca and quite a bit more than the DD. This comes with an Arcadia t5 luminaire which I will sell on. Also managed to source a 3 month old Aqua Medic ocean 150w MH pendant at less than half current price with two new bulbs

The tank also comes with an external filter for mechanical/chemical. Will mean more equipment visible in the tank but wonders can be worked with live rock.
Anonymous  
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #8
awesome purchase, that tank is in a different league. good luck with it.
TAT2 TAT2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 24/10/2010 17:45
Re: Boyu HS 60?????? #9
Thanks mate. Well it's here turns the out the t5 luminaire was a 4 tube not a 2 so even better. That one's now for sale and I have my metal halide. Just have to decorate the living room, move a tank, put a new floor down and I'll be ready to set it up

Is a nice looking piece of kit though. The AM Biostar Skimmer has had it's first mod the nasty biorotor nitrate factory has been removed. I'm thinking maybe a little miracle mud fuge or something in it's place - ideas welcome.