Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/10/2005 13:57
Pygmy cories #1
Anyone had any experience with these little fellas? They are sooo cute. My lfs doesn't stock them though, are they tricky to come by?
Any stories would be gratefully received
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/10/2005 15:19
Re: Pygmy cories #2
hiya!
have a shoal of these myself, they are soooo cute!
prefer to be in large shoals, about 5-10ish, mine live with a siamese fighter, two shrimps and a snail in a smallish tank, they eat anything pretty much, my get daphnia and bloodworms, the odd catfish pellet, peas occaisonally, they also like tomato (small slice)pretty easy to look after, if you get healthy ones to start with- make sure they have been in the shop for a couple of weeks, and try to avoid really tiny ones if there are larger ones in the tank, they are just more likely to survive, prefer slightly mature tanks too. when i first had them they were in a bigger tank, with a more and they never seemed happy, always hiding, so put them in the little tank and they've been fine ever since! so better of in small tanks, with less other occupants i think.
well worth having some of thes little guys!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 23/10/2005 16:38
Re: Pygmy cories #3
Thanks Gillian! I was hoping they would get on OK with bettas, that's what I was going to keep them with. I't s 13 gallon tank so I was hoping for 1 betta and maybe 8-10 pygmies, does that sound about right?
Anonymous  
Re: Pygmy cories #4
i haven't actually seen thes littel fella's yet. but shall look. but just from the name they sounds cute
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 24/10/2005 10:16
Re: Pygmy cories #5
13 will be loads of space! mine are in a 4 gallon!, no one whinge at me if they think that's too small, originally it was the fighter and the snail, the pygmies went in there as a temporary emergency and they liked it, and so i left them in there! the tank had been running for about 7 months at the time too.
they like sitting on leaves, java fern is good, they are so cute to watch, specially when they all hover in the middle of the tank!!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/10/2005 10:35
Re: Pygmy cories #6
I can't wait, I just hope Maidenhead has some as my lfs doesn't stock them. I don't want to get mail order, I like to see my fish first. I just hope they get on with the betta, I might set up another aquarium just in case so I've got somewhere to put them if they don't get on.
Anonymous  
Re: Pygmy cories #7
they should get on with the betta. i have a small cory in my betta tank now. and they are fine together.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 24/10/2005 11:00
Re: Pygmy cories #8
for ur own sanity, choose them carefully! the shop assistant mite not be very happy, but insist on them picking out the fattest ones, it took me ages to get a shoal where they all stayed alive for more than a week, but i was catching mine myself, started off with 6, and the runty one just died, kept buying couple more each week, to try and get a healthy shoal, coz the littler ones just kept dying pretty much as soon as they got home! had my shoal for ages now!
and if they havent been in the shop for more then a week or so, leave them til next week, just avoids buying weak ones that mite just die for no reason, harsh i know!
Gill

Resized Image

Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/10/2005 11:03
Re: Pygmy cories #9
Thanks for that Gillian, will choose carefully!
Anonymous  
Re: Pygmy cories #10
maybe harshe but its the best way. after all no point in spending money on something which may not last a week.