woodruffsdad woodruffsdad
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 20:14
Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #1
I cannot for the life of me keep Golden Apple Snails!

I house them in a 60 litre BiOrb heated to 20 degrees. I regularly put in cucumber which they scoff readily and they hoover up the excess food that the two fish that they share the tank with don't eat.

But after a few days in my tank they invariably die!

I have bought snails from two different sources but the same thing happens every time.

I will not now buy any more Apple Snails until I know they are going to live long and happy lives!

Any ideas?
Anonymous  
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #2
Hi Woodruffsdad,

Your first problem is your temperature. Apple snails, all species, need temperatures in excess of 32c. They are tropical inhabitants. Any temp around 20c is lethal for these snails and on average they only last about 4 days. Secondly they need high calcium content in the water or their shells will break down. Thirdly you need at least 4inches of space above the water surface so that the snails can leave the water so your Biorb is completely the wrong environment for your snails. To be honest biorbs are not really suitable to keep anything in really as the surface area is too small to allow the exchange process gthat allows toxic gasses to be expelled and oxygen to be soaked up.

Apple snails also grow big see below

Attach file:

jpg  (2.69 KB)
7567_4c990889cb4f1.jpg 135X90 px
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 20:50
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #3
I must take issue with you here, Jaguar.

On the Apple Snail website it gives a guide temperature of between 18 and 28 degrees, nowhere near 32! In fact my local fish shops sell these snails as cold water creatures!

I have mine at 20 degrees because Jennybugs, on this very forum, said that she kept her Apple Snails in a BiOrb at 19/20 degrees.

I do have more than 4" of space above the waterline in my BiOrb and the snails, when still living, often come out of the water.

Surely if BiOrbs did not provide a humane home for aquatic creatures, they would have been named by an animal welfare organisation (RSPCA?) and taken off the market?

I am now truly confused!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 22:27
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #4
Quote:

woodruffsdad wrote:

I have mine at 20 degrees because Jennybugs, on this very forum, said that she kept her Apple Snails in a BiOrb at 19/20 degrees.

We don't have a member called Jennybugs (unless the account has been deleted) Or do you mean 'on this very forum' as in the applesnail website?
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 22:34
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #5
There's a Jennybugs on quite a few other forums including PFK - maybe that's where you saw her post? It would be easy to confuse fishkeeping.co.uk and practicalfishkeeping.co.uk.
(I'm not a member anywhere else but she comes up on a lot of forums if you Google her user name )
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 22:36
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #6
Sorry. Getting my forums confused. Old age!

But the points I raised in response to Jaguar's post are still valid!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 22:42
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #7
Ah well I have to bow out there as I know absolutely nothing about snails. But I've heard nothing good about Biorbs

Quote:

woodruffsdad wrote:
Surely if BiOrbs did not provide a humane home for aquatic creatures, they would have been named by an animal welfare organisation (RSPCA?) and taken off the market?

Sadly there are no laws regarding fish welfare and manufacturers are happy to supply products without too much consideration for their inhabitants if they feel the style or apparent ease of set up will appeal to the public.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 21/9/2010 22:45
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #8
Hi woodruffsdad

Hope I can help a bit more !

Your original post asked for info on the same snails in a temperate water tank I believe, WCMM and snails. Good advice was given here: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

The snails are tropical needing higher temps and high pH and GH to thrive. The shells dissolve and the snails die otherwise

Seems you have a second bowl now (?) Can you post the following please, so we can help further:

- pH readings
- GH and KH readings
- ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
- all stock (names and numbers)
- water change regime and how
- filter change and how

Biorbs are not really suitable to the vast majority of fish or critters (if any really - and no one on this site recommends them as far as I am aware)

Could be a number of factors causing snail death , post back water readings and stock etc and we can advise further.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Anonymous  
Re: Why Do My Apple Snails Not Survive? #9
Erratum, sorry, 32c should have read 22c.

On the question of whether a tank/bowl is suitable for inhabitants, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of tanks and other items on the market that are not suitable for fishkeeping of any sort. It is not up to the shops or manufacturers to do the right thing and only supply items that are adequate, it is up to us the customer to research first and if we get it wrong we could be unwittingly breaking the law, namely the Animal Welfare Act 2006 that now covers fish and other aquatic creatures. The only way theses tanks/bowls will leave the market is when people stop buying them and no other way.