• Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/9/2010 10:23
Orca TL450 or 550????? #1
Hi all

Im planning on maybe doing a marine tank again i had ago
maybe 15 years ago that ended bad, due to lack of knowledge and information available, Anyway i couldnt believe my luck when i saw this site and all the information that you guys have put on here and it has really inspired me to have ago again, The only thing is i dont want to go to large and to be honest was looking at the Orca 450, i see alot of you use it and i have read alot of the articles. I guess really what i would like to know is will it be ok as a starter or is it to small.
Any help much appreciated thxs
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/9/2010 9:55
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #2
hello
it is always the debate between choosing a so called plug&play and to make one's own choice to equip one's tank.

Fortunately here in France, those plug&play tanks are not so vivid apart from Red sea.
The problems are always the same : lights are not sufficient ( here 36 w for some 58 liters) at all in your case. I do not know the efficiency of the skimmer. If case you had ceramics inside, do not put them in, there are of no use in reef tanks and more the source for nitrates than anything else.
pumps also are often too scarce so you often have to add at least one.

58 liters is a perfect size for a new start, smal enough to fit in the home but large enough to host a few things.
at the same time, 5 liters change of water a week is not unmanageable at all. I am sure this shall give you a maximum of pleasure and we will give plenty of help on the site.
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #3
I agree with Phisan, the lights aren't upto much but will be suitable for some soft corals but don't expect them to flourish like they would under halides. The skimmer is next to useless but many would argue that you don't need to run one in such a small tank anyway as long as you were performing 5 litre water changes weekly as stated by before. Don't run the bio balls, ceramics or the sponge, live rock will be your biological filtration and for media I'd run carbon, phos remover and filter floss replacing the floss twice a week. Stocking wise in an orca 450, you'd be looking at 3 fish really or 4 at max providing a couple were really small.
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 3/9/2010 15:28
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #4
Thxs for taking the time to help me out, I understand that a few upgrades may be needed to make it fully suitable for my needs. I was planning putting in some live rock, 2 or 3 cleanup crew and 3 fish not sure what yet though, would that be fine? how much crushed live rock would you say i would need for the filter and when you say crushed how fine do you mean?
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #5
I wouldn't say crushed rock but more like loose rubble sizes of 2p pieces in diameter maybe i'd say enough to fill half - 2/3s of a chamber. I'd recommend 2 - 3 snails to begin with after a week or 2, but in total as your tank matures you should be looking at a good mix of 10 - 15 snails. Ocellaris Clownfish, Clown Gobies, Firefish, Shrimp Gobies, even a Royal Gramma if added last would be peaceful fish i'd recommend, but yeah 3 is sensible number. I'd buy a new powerhead for the main tank to help increase flow, Koralia 1 or 2 would be good choices.
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/9/2010 18:07
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #6
occelaris are bit too big for this size, firefishes are just great but beware of their jumps outside the tank. they are just wonderfully and at the same time delicately coloured be they the fire or the purple one.
in this case, a couple of very small fishes such as trimma sp. or eviota sp. would be great. I know that in England you are lucky enough to find Dorhyramphus excisus regularly. I have a friend here in Paris having them in a small 36 liter tank and keeping them with success, feeding them with mysis. I have other friends having another one too. It is a very beautiful and original species.
for a more moving tank, you could get a couple of the blenny Ecsenius sigmatura instead. You'll get plenty of choice and we'll help you.
but first and foremost pass all the first steps of maturation.
nano 240 lite
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 3/9/2010 19:09
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #7
Thx u both for the tips, so mind made up going for the orca 450. was looking for powerhead will koralia nano 900 be ok or can i go with less powerfull one, in regards to the skimmer does anyone know if you can still get the wg-310 i looked on ebay but only saw one from hong kong.
will c about getting the tank nextweek saw place on the net does tank and matching cabinet not the stand for ?179
Its going to take me awhile to get fully going and get the stuff in i need.
Oh 1 more question for now when you guys put in the live from do you use anything to fix them together i did see to use egg crates as base.

thxs again
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #8
Phisan with regards to Ocellaris (tank bred) we'll have to agree to disagree, I know plenty of reefers keeping 1 in this sized tank and even smaller tanks and they're very healthy and happy. Glenn the wg310 is only available from hong kong on ebay it seems and ppl are very happy with that upgrade. Egg crate is a again a touchy subject, imo don't get it, I don't have my live rock fixed together but it is very stable. If the place you saw the tank was charterhouse aquatics then expect delays on your delivery compared to what they promise.
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 7:02
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #9
it was from charterhouse bouch Have you had experince dealing with them then? can get tank from a few places but i did like look of the cabinet instead of the stand and i have not seen that to buy anywhere else.
thx
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #10
I've had experience with them yes. I ordered a bunch of stuff around 10 items, spend over ?50 free next day delivery, 1 item was not it stock but they didn't send out other 9 items, I ended up waiting 10 days for my entire order. I would still buy it from them, just thought i'd give you an advanced warning. I've ordered on 2 other occassions for stuff over ?50 for next day delivery and I have never had it next day. You never know you might be one of the lucky ones, other than that Charterhouse are alright mate. With reference to the cabinet, I'm sure that is for the Orca 550 meaning your Orca 450 won't set flush with the edges, so maybe you should ask charterhouse that question.