Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/8/2010 16:35
Any Pleco experts please? #1
Just getting a bigger tank for my pleco, Herman and am considering offering a home to another one whose outgrown his current home, but am not sure whether they'd get on.

Views on the net seem to vary and maybe it's as much about individual plecs as anything, but I don't want to take on another one if there's likely to be a problem between them as there's no way I could house them separately if it came to it. But, I'd really like to offer this other one a home IF it's practical.

So is there anyone with experience of multiple plecs in one tank who can give me a bit of advice?

The tank is 4ft 6" long and 80 gallons. Herman is an Albino, and I'm fairly sure he's a Pterygophlichthys Pardalis, but as they're hard to identify am not absolutely certain. The other one is believed to be a Sailfin, but I haven't seen it and have no firm ID. It's about a foot long and as it's being described as a Sailfin I'm assuming for the moment it's A Pterygophlichthys Gibbiceps.

Any help greatly appreciated
suilaire suilaire
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Harris
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 16:12
Re: Any Pleco experts please? #2
Hi Noodle

Thanks for your PM, but I am afraid I am no expert on plecs.

I think it will come down to the individual fish - plecs are pretty laid back creatures, so I wouldn't expect there will be a problem... But make sure there is plenty of food, so no fighting, and plenty of hidey holes for them if they need to get out of each other's way. I'd suggest large pieces of bogwood with holes/gaps and/or pipes/tunnels.

Is there any way you could take the sailfin on a trial basis?

Hope someone more experienced comes along. Only tank I know with several large plecs is at North Queensferry, the Deep Sea World piranha tank - which has at least a dozen full size plecs living in harmony.
Resized Image
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 6/9/2010 13:04
Re: Any Pleco experts please? #3
Hi noodle - have just heard from my friend that he rehomed it to the LFS recently. Really appreciate you being interested in it though He said he would rather it had gone to someone on here than the lfs but I think he was running out of options and didn't think he'd find anyone able to take it.

If you are interested in pleccy friends for Herman I'm sure there are plenty of missold plecs in circulation, you might be able to find another one in need of a good home
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/9/2010 13:45
Re: Any Pleco experts please? #4
Hi Suey,

Thanks for letting me know. I was formulating a cunning plan to facilitate their co-existence, but given that it's going to be a couple of months minimum before I'd have the tank ready, it's maybe just as well (at least for your friend) that he's already gone.

New tank will be here on Wednesday so despite a lot of diy and decorating between then a nd setting up, I can atleast spend my spare time planning it!

Noodle
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 6/9/2010 14:31
Re: Any Pleco experts please? #5
Quote:

suilaire wrote:
Hi Noodle

But make sure there is plenty of food, so no fighting, and plenty of hidey holes for them if they need to get out of each other's way. I'd suggest large pieces of bogwood with holes/gaps and/or pipes/tunnels.

Thanks for responding and for the advice. Was going to go with that, plenty of individual "spaces" for them to choose from, but it seems the Gibby has been rehomed.

Still, the advice was appreciated and may come in handy in the future (you never know where these "too big" plecs are going to pop up next!).