RyanJ RyanJ
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/8/2010 14:09
TMC 120 skimer #1
Do you have to leave your protine skimer on all the time??
As mine is putting loads of little bubbles into the tank and the collection cup fluid is quite clear and i only need to empty it every three days or so. I have the flow turned right down so that you can see about 1cm of foam in the bottom of the funnel. Any ideas as why it is producing so much little bubbles??
Also what colour should I expect the fluid collected to be?
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 26/8/2010 16:08
Re: TMC 120 skimer #2
there are various objectives when you're using a skimmer

the first one and most obvious is the removal of decaying matters from the water. There comes a problem when you distribute plancton as food for corals. In thsi very case, you should stop for a while your skimmer ( a while is 1/2 hours). Then when on again, the remaining plancton is exported with the foam.

A less obvious one is the oxygenation of the water. Of course, the water movement provides with some oxygen through the gas exchange abilities of salted water but it has other impacts. The injection of O2 into the water raises the Ph ( good for the fish) but also a high PH enables a more efficient calcification i.e. coral growth for corals. At the same time, it raises or keeps the redox high wich acts as a kind of buffer for the capacities of reduction and oxydation of decaying matters, in case some should appear. A high redox is a most welcome value - sound tanks have between a 300-400 microvolt value).
And whatever people will say, skimmers remain one of the most efficient place for mixing air and water.

So yes you should always keep your skimmer on except during the distribution of planctons to corals
nano 240 lite
RyanJ RyanJ
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Posted on: 26/8/2010 21:12
Re: TMC 120 skimer #3
Oh!!!, why dont they put that in the manual
Anyways a quick update I totaly striped the skimmer down and cleaned it, put it back in tank and the micro bubbles entering the tank far less. I am not quite sure why but it is better!
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 27/8/2010 9:13
Re: TMC 120 skimer #4
"why don't they put that in the manual? "

Because Ryan, there is a very poor link, if any, between our hobby and the scientific research field unfortunately.
With the knowledge on coral biology, because it's what it is about in a reef tank, people would be able to conduct a sound way of keeping corals, to choose from the species viable in our tanks on the long run and moreover to make the right choice among all the more magical unlabelled potions coming from the ornamental aquarium industry, and the right choice of tank running habits.
We, the elders in the practise, have also a certain reponsability in that state of things : we have turned tricks into unexplainable rules, and some of us have not turned into these scientific readings.....Others have and are wonderfull ambassadors of the practise.
nano 240 lite