Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/8/2010 16:21
Reverse Osmosis units. #1
Sorry, ANOTHER thread!!

We have looked & looked at fish for our water and I think we've come to the conclusion that it will be worth it to change our water.

I've been looking at the units and I'm now a wee bit confused....there are soooo many.

I have been offered RO water from a distant 'friend' but I don't know how long that offer was for!! I don't want to get some from him, get the fish and then find the source has dried up.

It's also a bit of a 'faff', having to fetch water, we think it would be A LOT easier to sort it out ourselves.

What sorts do people have? Have they been good? Are there any of the cheaper ways/units that are any good?

Just a few questions!!

Thanks,

EB x.
Dolhin Seabray 500 litres with four Fancy Goldies & 5 White Clo
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 13/8/2010 19:50
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #2
People used to swear by RO Man but they've recently gone out of business I think.

My nitrate/chloramine removal filter system comes from Pozzani, they are very helpful on the phone about setting things up and send out replacement bits very efficiently. They also do RO filters but of course I've no idea how good they are, have a look:

http://www.pozzani.co.uk/ro.html?osCsid=85tatd08v20g92ph7k0reg4ds6

(You will need a TDS meter as well)

You are not on a water meter are you? (It is very wasteful of water).
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 13/8/2010 20:39
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #3
Hi Cathie,

thanks. No, we're not on a meter - thank goodness.

I've just been over to the site and had a look, thanks. they have no P&P at the moment, which is always a plus!

So, does it have to be an Aquatic RO unit, or will a standard drinking unit be OK?

Is there anything I need to check that it does, just in case some don't always have the same characteristics - if this makes sense!!

Thanks,

EB.
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/8/2010 21:06
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #4
Main thing is how many liters per day it can process.

The liters per day is basically how many liters it would produce in a day if it was run non stop.

So if it was 200 liters per day it would produce 8.3 liters per hour, which would take a long while to fill up your tank.

Also it depends on your water pressure, they need a certain water pressure to achieve their stated liters per day, so if your water pressure is low you will either have reduced performance, or need to get a pump to help things along.
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 15/8/2010 8:31
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #5
Thanks for that.

Got to think about this now.

When we bought J's last batch of Guppies yesterday I asked about their RO and they're going to start selling it soon.

?3.50 for 25 litres, I don't know if it's worth the hassle of having to go & fetch it every week though, It seems ALOT easier to do it yourself.

Any way, thanks for the info,

EB.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/8/2010 10:28
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #6
The ro-man website is back up - - but they did have something going on last year so it's worth checking they're ok before sending your cash!
http://www.ro-man.com/
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_in ... th=22_91&products_id=1573

As Cathie says, you need a TDS meter to ensure that the water after filtration is pure. You need this whether you make your own or buy it. A pen type TDS meter is cheap from ebay and you just dip it in the water to see how pure it is.

The GPD (gallons per day) rating on an RO unit is under ideal conditions, which means that the water is warmer and under more pressure than it's likely to be in real life. You can half that to get a more realistic GPD figure. I have 100GPD unit, this results in about 2.5 hours to fill a 25L jerry can. I also have a 3 gallon tank though that holds about 15L under pressure so I can actually fill the first 25L can in about 25 minutes.
One with a pressure gauge is good as this is an excellent diagnostics tool.

If you're making your own you also need to consider the costs of replacement filters and possibly DI resin. Not too expensive but needs to be done every 6 months.
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 17/8/2010 22:00
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #7
Wow, just seen this and been across and looked at the site you linked - that's a good unit, at a decent price.

Thanks for that EagleC.
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 18/8/2010 20:42
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #8
I've done it....I've ordered a unit!!

Yey!!

We can now have a bigger selection of fish, thanks for your help all x.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 19/8/2010 0:04
Re: Reverse Osmosis units. #9
You've just got to admire her 'go-for-it' attitude. Almost rivalling FA and the chickens
[url=http://www.bigfishcam