MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/8/2010 22:26
Mossball creatures in cycling tank #1
I think this may be similar to Nayfee's post about thread -like worms....

I was examining the cycle tank and took a close look at the mossball (which was in a live tank in the LFS) and it has loads of life in it. Some little specs that jump over the surface and a worm that peeped out and went back in. All smaller than grains of sand, and can't make out anything other than white blobs...

I'm happy I have some creatures! Any clues do I need to take any action?
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 8:03
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #2
They sound like the normal critters you get when cycling a tank. The worms could either be planaria (flat worms) or detritus worms (look like little hairs) and the jumpy things are probably cyclops (a type of copepod). They are harmless enough, not sure if your shrimp will eat them when you introduce them but they will probably die off anyway once the shrimp start eating all the food.
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 8:22
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #3
Ah cool, thanks Fishy-Fishy, nothing to worry about then.

I have to admit I was surprised and a little chuffed to see something alive in a tank that I thought was bare! Even if it is microscopic.

I will bob to the shops at lunch and purchase a magnifying glass to observe (hey, I've got 3+ weeks left to cycle, I need something to look at!)
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 8/8/2010 13:25
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #4
Flatworms seem to love mossballs, so this may be what the worm is. They're harmless (and I think they're rather cute!).
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Original Image
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/8/2010 15:17
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #5
Sorry to resurrect old thread, but I've done a bit more research which may help some people out.

Planaria are harmless to fish, but do cause harm to shrimp, and can kill healthy adults. Advice to remove them is cut down on feeding and gravel vacuum plenty. Alternatley set up a trap to lure them out and fish them out.

Luckily for me I don't have planaria, but enchytraeus worms in my tank, which i think are harmless, but there doesn't seem to be much info on them. ...

for ID purposes - planaria = white, short and flat worms, enchythraeus = white, long, thin and 'wiggly' worms (can't think of a better description lol ).

I'll be sure to update if I find out more!

Fish are people too
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 24/8/2010 19:01
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #6
Ok, anyone thirsty?

I've just done a 50% water change, which stirred up the remaining 50% and brought out these little chappies.

I spent 10 minutes sucking these up with a syringe and popping them in a bucket.

Any critter experts know what they are?

(click on pic to start video)

Original Image

*EDIT*
hmm, not sure why video is showing as deleted.
Try this instead:
http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac ... view¤t=P1030469.mp4

Fish are people too
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/8/2010 20:18
Re: Mossball creatures in cycling tank #7
Looks like detritus worms to me. They're very common and since you've just cycled with fish-food there's probably been a bit of a population explosion. They can come in initially on gravel, plants or whatever and you don't normally see that many unless overfeeding the fish - or in this case feeding an empty tank !

They're harmless and numbers will decrease with some gravel vac'ing and the addition of livestock.

Noodle