• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/7/2010 14:50
algea and fish advise #1
Can any one help me?
Have had my tank for 8 months and still cant get rid off this red agea :(
Have reduced lighting time too 8-9 hours and got a phostrate removing filter sponge and still not any difference :(
Any ideas?
Plus my six stripped wrasse is permantly bullying my smaler clown fish,and clown just permantly hides up in the corner off the tank?? :(
Any ideas?
lee

Attach file:

jpg  (366.71 KB)
10401_4c542a17e1f63.jpg 960X1280 px
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 31/7/2010 14:59
Re: algea and fish advise #2
picture odd clown hidnig behind spray bar from wrasse :(

Attach file:

jpg  (350.27 KB)
10401_4c542c2d7fa61.jpg 1280X960 px
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 31/7/2010 17:05
Re: algea and fish advise #3
Ooh crikey, there is a lot I think it's cyanobacteria (AKA blue-green algae, but you can get other colours). Aren't you using RO water?
t1gerbee t1gerbee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 10:09
Re: algea and fish advise #4
Hiya,

right, you need to get some proper phosphate remover and you need to be replacing it on a weekly basis.

Phos remover only works for a certain amount of time before it is maxed out, so if you have high phos levels (which, given the algae i'd be suggesting you do) then the phos remover will be used up almost as soon as you put it in...

so get a decent amount, calculate the amount to put in (dont overdo it as it can swing your pH and crash the tank if you add too much at once)

but put in the correct amount, and then a week later change and add a new lot.

Do you have a phos test kit?

Secondly, get an airline and create a syphon into a bucket, then go round your tank and manually suck out as much of the algae as you can. This will have to become regular maintenance for a while, so do it once a week to get any that is growing back.

Do that, coupled with the phosphate remover changes should help tackle the problem long term.

Ok, now we have to figure out whats allowing it to take over so much...

How big is the tank? What is the stock? How and what do you feed? Do you defrost frozen foods and strain before adding? What flow do you have in the tank? How old are your tubes and what spectrum are they?

... As for the six line, they are renowned for being total bullies, take him back to the shop and let your clowns live in peace.

:)
'I wish you my dear reefers clear water, fast coral growth and great pleasure in this wonderful hobby.'
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 10:50
Re: algea and fish advise #5
Yeah only use the RO water to top up once levels drop due to evaporation but not using much off it...as do water changed 10 percent every week with salt water mix i get from shop
Is this wrong?
lee
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 11:11
Re: algea and fish advise #6
hello there again
Yes i have phosphate test kit and is comin up as 0.03ppm which SAYS IS GOOD
and have a polyfilter to remove phosphates etc and cut back on the lighting yo 8-9 hours
Also i dont use much RO water as do weekly water changes 10 percent every weekend with pre mixed salt water
Is this bad?
Should i be putting more RO water in?
Have tried taking and sucking red algea off but you leave on small bit and it spread like wild fire :(
Will get rid off wrasse but cant catch him he's too quick
Am thinking off starting a new tank and starting from the begining, but have been told by shop you get this red algea in all new tanks, and they call in new tank sydrome?? And that it last 8-9 months on new tanks.
Well have tank since 24/11/2009 and still got it
Will by a phostrate remover and follow your instructions
Oh my tank is Boyu TL550 130 litres
Thinking off buying the New RED SEA MAX 250 and leave running with just live sand and live rock running for months
lee
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 11:18
Re: algea and fish advise #7
Tank is the boyu TL550 130 litres and have 2 clown fish, 1 ghost gobby,1 wrasse soon to be gone lol,1 sand sifting star fish, 1 orange star fish,4 turbo snails, 1 hermit crab, and 1 lobster!
An yes use frozen mysts, defrost in glass and empty in tank slowly... Just renewed tubes last month as where 6 months old , they blue and white 24w/10000k
Justine962 Justine962
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Rutland
  • Posted on: 10/8/2010 16:44
Re: algea and fish advise #8
I can't advise, but I can sympathise.
I have exactly the same problem.
Mine's not a new tank either and the red algae came from nowhere and has just gone mad.
So yes any and all advice greatfully read
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 10/8/2010 22:41
Re: algea and fish advise #9
Wll I have tried everything so have done last resort took all live rock out and washed it all and the water change sucking remainding slime up so looks all good at mo and will suck the remainding bits out on next water change
But am thinking off getting a red sea max 250 and setting it up and running on it's own with just live sand and live rock and see if I get the red slime in that one as well
nickp87 nickp87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 11/8/2010 17:29
Re: algea and fish advise #10
Cyno is quite a common problem, and can affect new tanks, it will usually burn itself out if all parameters are good.

What and how much are you feeding? how much flow do you have? have you tested some fresh salt mix from your lfs? also what are your water prameters?

Remember when testing phosphate and nitrate that the algae will have taken up alot so the test kit reading will be low.