Andyroo Andyroo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Lothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/7/2010 11:00
Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #1
Dear Fishkeepers

New to the fishkeeping scene but keen to establish a raised pond in our garden. Am a keen coarse angler, so keen on all things piscatorial, and would like to be able to keep a few small fish/plants for our two year old son to watch and grow and care for.

We have limited room and thin soil levels so do not want to excavate but instead have been wondering about locating a pre-constructed wooden raised pond in the garden ..... we have a fairly decent sized slabbed patio area to the side upon which could be located a raised pond.

I have been searching the web to see who produces/makes off the shelf ready constructed wooden ponds (albeit would probably have to be assembled on site) ..... but haven't found much.

A company called Garden Oasis do make such items but I was wondering if anyone else knew of any other sources/manufacturers.

http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/ponds-wa ... atures-ponds-c-77_78.html

I appreciate that ponds of this style are perhaps limited with regards to their size and thus what plants/fish you might be able to keep ...... however, I imagine the plus side is that it is a fairly easy first venture into the world of pond keeping.

As mentioned, we have a two year old son, so the safety aspect of a raised pond over a ground level pond is another consideration.

What are peoples views/thoughts, pros/cons of such ponds?

Does anyone out there have such a pond?

What about sizes of available ponds and corresponding plant life and fish that can be kept?

What provision for filtration should I be looking to consider?

Hoping you can help.

Cheers.

Andy
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/7/2010 16:45
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #2
Hi Andy, welcome to FK

If you want fish rather than just an ornamental pond then those aren't really suitable I'm afraid they won't offer the fish enough shelter in the winter from the cold. A fish pond needs to be 4 feet deep although some of this can be above ground. I don't know of any other ready constructive ponds but I will let a pond advisor know about this thread.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/7/2010 19:58
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #3
Hello Andyroo, welcome to the forums.

I have to agree with Fishy-Fishy, they are just not suitable. (Despite what they say) Looking at the pictures you can clearly see the liner, so what will happen in a really bad winter? The pool may freeze almost solid.

Also the "problem" with any pre formed pool is you have to work around it, but if you build your own pool you can put what you like where like and it will not look like it is "bolted on"

There are lots of materials you can build a raised pond from, you could even build one with concrete blocks and have a cavity to stop the cold.

Even if you built one with sleepers it would still be better and cheaper than a pre made pond (But sleepers are a nightmare to cut)

Remember I said you don?t want anything to look its "bolted on" well don?t forget with fish you will need a UV and filter. More info can be found HERE
Andyroo Andyroo
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Lothian
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 9:47
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #4
Many thanks for your replies.

Much appreciated.
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 21:02
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #5
what about this 2ft above ground and the same below Original ImageOriginal Image

Attach file:

jpg  (1,475.53 KB)
7554_4c55df0ec3849.jpg 2592X1944 px
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/8/2010 21:24
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #6
What's it made from? They do look like old telegraph poles. How are they held together?
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 3/8/2010 17:02
Re: Pre-constructed raised wooden pond #7
its made from strainer posts for deer fencing the bottom post is concreted into the ground before the main hole is dug
then i put the posts through the thicknesser in my work just to give the posts a bit of a flat edge to allow the others to sit on top then i drilled through the 4 logs with 2ft long bolts to hold it together, the logs are in a brick pattern to give added strength then the main hole was dug out with a jcb after that i screwed angled pieces to the inside and covered the whole thing with exterior plywood then expanded polystyrene and finally the liner the top cap covers the liner edge and gives places to sit
aswell as the local cats a viewing spot