chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/10/2005 0:21
fry #1
Hi

just read aobut a guy who had a four goldfish and has had about 20 babies this year, ive got 10 goldfish and have just remebered that in the spring-summer time i cleaned the big filter out and on the sponge inside there was theses orange like very thin very small stripes, were they babies sucked up by the pump?

keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/10/2005 0:48
Re: fry #2
doubt it as most goldies are brown for the first year, might be fungus? or sommat i dunno
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/10/2005 14:15
Re: fry #3
Hi chopper,

You usually knows when they spawn as there would be some frantic activities for a few hours and you should see eggs unless your pond is deep or very green. Once they hatch, they are unlikely to be all sucked up by the filter as they are natural survivors. Some will be dead, some will be eaten but you will notice some juveniles sooner or later. Those things you found in the filter are likely to be worms that feed on the gunk in the filter.
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
Anonymous  
Re: fry #4
sounds like fly larvae. but can't remember wot fly they are from. my filter was full of them aswell