trappersam trappersam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/7/2010 19:39
New coral ??? #1
Hi
My marine set up has been running for about 10 months. I have a jasmin, a toadstool and i had some little yellow daisy like polyps, but they died. But recently i have had some new visitors as seen in the piccy. Two shown in the center and one more out of shot. All on seperate pieces of rock. They are growing fast while my jasmine seems to be weakening. The stem and the crown is about 2 inches high. I cant recall seeing anything like them on line or in shops. Can anyone tell me what they are and if they are harmful
Thanks a lot
Doug
Trappersam

Attach file:

jpg  (156.31 KB)
10269_4c30e325a408b.jpg 640X480 px
nickp87 nickp87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 4/7/2010 20:33
Re: New coral ??? #2
Hi Doug.

They are aiptasia, a pest species of anemone, they can spread quickly and sting everything.

More reading here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inv ... zoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm
trappersam trappersam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 4/7/2010 22:10
Re: New coral ??? #3
Thanks for you speedy reply. Nasty blighters.
Let the war begin.
Doug
trappersam trappersam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2010 15:55
Re: New coral ??? #4
Hi Again
Luckily the three monsters were on 3 different pieces of rock whick i could remove fairly easily. So armed with a boiling kettle i removed each rock gave the offending offspring a bath in boiling water, scraped the remains off with a knife and scrubbed with a stiff nail brush. Hopefuly i didnt do too much damage to the rest of the rock, only time will tell.
Then slightly re arranged my tank which i have needed to do to show my toadstool off better as it is getting bigger. So overall a good days work.(i hope).
If they return i shal buy a couple of burghia nudibranch
Death to all Aiptasia
Thanks again

Trappersam