Anonymous  
Tank Mate Compatibility #1
In an Orca 450 would either of the following stocking suggestions work:

1 - Ocellaris Clownfish & Six Line Wrasse (added last)or
2 - Ocellaris Clownfish, Green Clown Goby & Royal Gramma

I've read the Six Line can be a pain but really like the personality of it especially as it's so active.
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/7/2010 14:30
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #2
hello
in case you had to change your population or replace a dead fish, no P.hexataenia would be best because it can turn into a real killer once established with any new small fish.
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #3
Thanks for replying I was beginning to lose hope. I've switched plans to stock an Ocellaris Clownfish, Green or Yellow Clown Goby and a Red or Purple Firefish. A safer and more peaceful combination. Cheers
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2010 11:14
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #4
patience is our first quality, isn't?
in any case, it is better to get couples as the natural behaviour is much better then.
sorry but how many liters is the Orca 450?
I'd say it all depends on your tastes and your set up.
ideal combinations wouldbe to get a species that lives rather in in the first top half, and another in the bottom half, and may be a third in between.
in this case : gramma and firefish would be great although in the same tones. then a sharp constrast with Gobiodon okinawae would be great and this would be good ( all three species in couple).
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #5
The Orca 450 is 58 litres, but i believe around 15 litres is in the back compartment so you're looking at around 42 litres swimming space.
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2010 15:42
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #6
oops
so honestly a couple of very small fish and a couple of larger ones is more than enough.

Gobiodon okinawae or other small species or Eviota sp. or even Trimma sp. for the animation of the middle height within the corals.

and then what else?.... not easy i'd say gramma are rather too large.

I'd tend to propose a couple of dottybacks among the safest ones : either Pseudochromis fridmani (male with a longer lower part of the tail) or P.springeri. This proposal because I always plead for the surprise element in smaller tanks. these species tend to be seen and then disapear within the set-up.

If you are lucky you could also get another choice : Ecsenius stigmatura (blennies), which I know can be found in Britain, I have kept them in couple for months. and then a bottom goby with its shrimp.

You've got plenty of possibilities aside the very common species.
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #7
Thanks Phisan, can i just pick your brains a little more? I plan to run without a skimmer and I only want a FOWLR setup. What water changes do you recommend, I was planning on changing 30% - 40% fortnightly or 20% - 25% weekly? As far as media goes I was planning RowaCarbon, RowaPhos & Filter floss would this be alright?
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 9/7/2010 21:36
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #8
I think it would be a pity to deprive yourself of the beauty of a reef tank, if you don't want to dive into the hard corals world, which I can understand, why not place soft corals only, those among the easiest and sometimes also very colourful : Pachyclavularia, the invasive Xenia, zoanthus, discosoma or rhodactis or even ricordea, or among the bushy group nephthya or even some among the leather coral group.
This would give advantages:

- aesthetic one : colour and movement, plus a very natural setting

- polution fighting : as all symbiotic corals, soft corals rely on light mainly for their growing, but they also absorb from the water : nitrogen ( nitrates) a little of phosphorus, so much that some people make soft coral filter units....Gives you idea???

a regular weekly change is the best, if not overpopulated, a weekly 10% routine is very good and sufficient, all the more you will have absorbing resins.

think well, this is but the beginning
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #9
Yeah I may well keep soft corals, I just wanted to build up a years experience of a fowlr setup before I started keeping them but can see how conditions are after 6 - 9 months and see if i'm ready for corals.
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 11/7/2010 10:32
Re: Tank Mate Compatibility #10
hi
all the more that when you buy freshly arrived living rocks of a good quality, you're getting small bits of coral corals on them too very often, so want it or not you're in for corals
nano 240 lite