(1) 2 »
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 19:45
How much live rock do I need? #1
I have just started to cycle my 155L tank (assume that 155L is still a nano tank??) and wanted to know how much live rock is required for that volume of water? I was intending for the live rock to be my main source of filtration so i need to get it right. I only have about 4.5KG in there at the moment.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (128.09 KB)
5541_4c1a6d183d9f7.jpg 480X640 px
Anonymous  
Re: How much live rock do I need? #2
They say aim for 1 pound of live rock per gallon for FOWLR and 2 pounds per gallon for a reef setup. So you're looking around 18-20kg for FOWLR and 35-37kg for reef. I'm no expert though i'm sure EagleC or someone else will be along shortly to give you a more definitive answer.
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:34
Re: How much live rock do I need? #3
ok thanks for that. Another thing I was going to ask is I have about 10KG of rock from my small nano tank that I was going to put into this new one. The only problem is that I have shed loads of what I think are bristle worms in that rock and wanted to know if its a problem as I am going to unavoidably introduce them in my tank....I hate them lol.
Anonymous  
Re: How much live rock do I need? #4
It depends. Some say they can cause problems with corals in large numbers and some just say they look ugly. Again, hopefully someone more experienced will be able to comment when they log on. I've heard of some owners picking the biggers ones out with tweezers and there are fish that eat smallers bristleworms like a 6 line wrasse for example.
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:52
Re: How much live rock do I need? #5
lol I've just read exactly the same thing!
Anonymous  
Re: How much live rock do I need? #6
that's the magic of google!! what's your plans for the tank stocking wise?
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:58
Re: How much live rock do I need? #7
Not 100% sure really cos i've always only had a v. small nano tank before and this one gives me a little more room. I'd like a nice reef setup with corals and fish. Not sure how much of what I can fit in there....I haven't set up a tank for so long I feel right out of the loop!
Anonymous  
Re: How much live rock do I need? #8
I think fish wise you've def got enough room for around 5 - 6 small to medium sized. Prob's don't want to go over that if it's a reef setup.
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/6/2010 20:49
Re: How much live rock do I need? #9
I have noticed today that I am getting a brown covering over the nice white bits on my live rock...not on the purple bits. If I remember rightly that all part of the cycling process????
Anonymous  
Re: How much live rock do I need? #10
Diatom bloom, it's a sign your cycle is completing. You been testing your water?