Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 8:38
Skimmer Problems? #1
Ihave installed a V2SKIM 300 Compact on the side of my new 155L tank currently have a huge amount of mirco bubbles pooring out from the output pipe. I have put the foam ring around it but they still poor out the bottom (unless I shut the air off to the unit) and I didn't know if its because its a new tank, only a few days old and there is nothing to skim, or if I have simply set the thing up wrong. Does anyone have any experiance of setting this model up that might be able to offer any advice?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 9:06
Re: Skimmer Problems? #2
Skimmers do need to some time to settle
I had the V2Skim-800 model TMC skimmer but in that there was a control for the quantity of water leaving the skimmer. The more the flow was restricted the higher the water level in the skimmer and the less bubbles pulled in by the venturi (and hence less bubbles leaving too.
Have you tried adjusting this knob?
marthamm marthamm
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 12:05
Re: Skimmer Problems? #3
Is the outlet pipe feeding into a hangon box that has some sponge in it,this box is sposed to remove the micro bubbles.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 12:36
Re: Skimmer Problems? #4
They've all got this - but it's only partly effective. You also have to get the flow setting right.
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 13:14
Re: Skimmer Problems? #5
Thanks guys. The bubble stop foam is on the outlet pipe but they just seem to get blown out the bottom. I must admit I don't really understand how it should be set up correctly as I have never had a skimmer before. In the centre of the collection cup is a conical spout. Should be bubbles be bubbling at the base of this spout or foaming over?

The instructions tell you to open the flow once its running and adjust the bubbles accordingly. If I open the flow valve, immaterial of how much air is being pumped into the unit, the water pours out of the spout and into the collection cup which is obviously wrong. The more air I put in, the lower the water lever in the conical spout....

I am assuming that we want to have the water level at the bottom of the conical spout with the bubbles gradually rising up the spout and into the collection cup?

Sorry if I'm being really dumb about this!!
RyanJ RyanJ
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Posted on: 26/8/2010 14:21
Re: Skimmer Problems? #6
I am glad I am not the only one with this problem mate. My TMC 120v2 is just the same
The instructions i had with the skimmer are shait!! it just dont make sense!! are these skimmers just cack and if so what skimmer would you recomend??