(1) 2 »
fish10 fish10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 15:35
fish swimming on side #1
Hi guys, all 6 of my fish have been swimming on their sides for over a week now. They only swim on their sides for a second but they are getting progressively worse. I have read that it could be due to swim bladder disease and that feeding them peas helps, but this hasnt worked. 5 of them are kois and one is a sarasas comet. Can anyone suggest anything that could help please :)
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 18:04
Re: fish swimming on side #2
Hi fish10 and welcome to FK All of them doing it is a bit odd Can you provide some more details about your pond so the pond people can have a better idea of what the problem might be?

How big is the pond?

How long have you had it set up?

Does it have a filter?

What else is in it - plants etc?

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH and if so what are the results?

What have you been feeding them so far?

Do they have any otehr symptoms?

How old/big are they?

Hopefully someone will be able to help
It's Not Just A Fish
fish10 fish10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 18:33
Re: fish swimming on side #3
The pond is about 1000litres and ive had it set up for about 3 months. It is filtered. Im currently using a pressurised Oase Biopress 6000 filter. Theres nothing else in the pond apart from the pond the pump and lighting. Ive tested the quality of the water and the results are as follows...
Nitrite -0.0
PH-7.5
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-5.

They are new fish i bought them around 2 months ago in lots of 3 fish at a time over the space of about 2/3 weeks. They are still very young. I have been feeding them with Tetra pond sticks however i have been feeding them with peas for the last week or so. The fish do not appear to have any other symptoms
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 19:11
Re: fish swimming on side #4
Hi Fish10,

Im not a pondy person either but can i ask, do you have any overhanging tree branches/plants?
Have you used any chemicals around the pond area ie: painted/stained a fence or added any fertiliser to flower beds, is there anything else you can think of which may give us a clue?

Jen
fish10 fish10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 19:23
Re: fish swimming on side #5
I havent got anything overhanging around the pond and i havent done any painting. The only thing i can suggest is that compost and lawn feed could have got into the pond. However i did cover the pond up when i applyed the lawn food. So it is unlikely.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 19:39
Re: fish swimming on side #6
Hey,

Welcome to the site :)

Whats the weather been like around you?

What size are the fish as well?

Are they flicking or rubbing agaist things in the pond?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 19:46
Re: fish swimming on side #7
Hi fish10 and welcome.

If all the fish are doing the same thing, there can only be one reason.

Something they have all ingested has affected them.

Since you say it?s not anything in the water (You could try isolating one fish and see what it does)

It must be the food.

I was reading an article the other day that suggested a lot of fish problems are caused by dry food swelling inside the fish, (Taking water from the fish itself) and the article went on to say that is why wet things like fruit never give this problem and why fish like it so much. (It has to be soft fruit, not apple and banana etc)

I suppose it would be similar to feeding a cat or dog dry pet food and no water.
fish10 fish10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 20:04
Re: fish swimming on side #8
The weather has varied. It has been dry mostly but was raining yesterday and today. The fish are about 3inches long. Could it be that the food has possibly gone out of date as i bought it around November, however i stopped feeding due to the weather. I only started feeding again when i bought new fish and have been using the same food. They dont appear to be rubbing against the sides but they do come up to the surface and bite away at bubbles formed from the filter outlet pipe. I did isolate two of my fish and appeared to be fine however when i released them back into the pond they began swimming on their sides again.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 20:12
Re: fish swimming on side #9
Well i would say its either temperature related (if you moved the two fish indoors) or theres something in the water.

Try doing a 50 water change and see if that perks them up.

Rain proberly willnt be helping things either due tot he low pressure.
fish10 fish10
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 20:32
Re: fish swimming on side #10
ill give that a go this weekend. But is that not normally done when there is poor water quality? Also is there any medication i can actually buy or do i just continue feeding them with garden peas.