avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/6/2010 12:43
new pond advice please! #1
Hi!
From advice I got on here I'm transferring my large indoor goldfish into an outdoor pond.

Do I need to treat the water as I would an indoor tank, ie chlorine balance etc.

Its just a 175gal pond for 3 fish. Do I need a filter?

Does the water need to sit in the pond a certain time before I can introduce the fish?

And can anyone give me any advice on maintaining the pond? Water changes etc?

What plants are best and does it need gravel at the bottom?

Any info / advice would be great - Im a beginner, if you couldnt already tell!

amey
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/6/2010 19:51
Re: new pond advice please! #2
Hello avons82, welcome to the water gardening part of the forum.

When adding fish to any tap water yes, you do need to either wait for a week or so or add a dechorinator.

You can find out more about ponds and filters HERE .

But I have a question for you.

Why would you want to put gravel in the bottom of a fish pond? Is it because that's what you do in a fish tank? (I really would appreciate an answer)

Any other questions, please ask
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 4/6/2010 9:33
Re: new pond advice please! #3
Quote:

avons82 wrote:
Hi!
From advice I got on here I'm transferring my large indoor goldfish into an outdoor pond.

Do I need to treat the water as I would an indoor tank, ie chlorine balance etc.

Yes.

Quote:
Its just a 175gal pond for 3 fish. Do I need a filter?

Yes. One rule of thumb for goldfish ponds is 30-50 gallons per adult fish. Though you're slightly above this minimum, you still need a pump and filter.

Quote:
Does the water need to sit in the pond a certain time before I can introduce the fish?

Ideally, you'd let the pond get through the nitrogen cycle with bottled ammonia and/or rotting fish food before introducing the fish. However, if you're going to transfer the filter media from their tank along with the fish, you could consider the pond more or less cycled.

Quote:
And can anyone give me any advice on maintaining the pond? Water changes etc?

Do not add gravel, the effect of the muck it will trap will dwarf any biological filtration the gravel provides.

Remove debris from your pond and filter regularly.

Instead of guessing about when to change water, get a test kit. The liquid tests are much more reliable than the strips.

Marginal plants (the ones that stick up out of the water) have the advantage of not causing pH swings at night.

Much of what you've learned from keeping fish indoors applies to ponds, but there are some differences. More sunlight means algae can be much more difficult to control. Your filter will have to cope not only with the load of the fish, but also with debris from trees and other plants. At times, there will be enough pollen to noticeably effect water quality. In the summer, heat may be a problem. Be sure you have enough aeration to keep the oxygen levels up. Herons are much better at fishing than any domestic cat could hope to be. Your fish will share their pond with wildlife. Some will be good to eat. Others, for instance, frogs, may compete for the attention of the fishkeeper.
avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 4/6/2010 10:50
Re: new pond advice please! #4
hi thanks so much for all the info,

when you say "transferring the media from the indoor tank" do you mean the gravel at the bottom?

im sure now my fishes will be happy and freeeee!

and yes I thought about gravel at the bottom as that's what you have in an indoor tank.

amey
Byg Nyge Byg Nyge
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 4/6/2010 17:47
Re: new pond advice please! #5
Hi amey, no to the gravel, yes to pump and filtration, add aeration in hot weather
:Where there's life there's usually a tax
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/6/2010 19:53
Re: new pond advice please! #6
Hi again avons82, I was just curious about the gravel.
If you want to, you can put gravel in a pond, There is available a "spider filter" that relies on the pond floor being covered in gravel.

Resized Image

However. They don't make it clear that you need at least 4 inches depth of gravel covering the filter, now imagine a big pond with 4 inches of gravel on its base, that?s a lot of gravel that will at some stage need cleaning.

I would also point out that a conventional biological filter and UV is much easier to maintain.
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 7/6/2010 21:16
Re: new pond advice please! #7
Quote:
when you say "transferring the media from the indoor tank" do you mean the gravel at the bottom?

No. I was thinking of bioballs, potscrubbers, matala, feather rock, lava, etc. There are a few types of DIY filter that would allow you to include aquarium gravel, but I would never throw it in the bottom of the pond. The problem with gravel in a pond is that it traps too much debris. And because you can't use a vacuum in a gravel pond, it's very difficult to clean. Even with pipes to draw water through the gravel, it's a bad idea. Don't do it.

What you could do, though, is put your gravel in a filter bag and stick it in the filter or perhaps under the waterfall until your new media is colonized.
avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 9:57
Re: new pond advice please! #8
hi again!

Im wondering about filters/ pumps?

for a 175gal / 3-5 fish pond what type would be best?

Also I was thinking about getting a small fountain- any suggestions - are these just for ornamental value?

also can i just use the indoor aquarium dechlorinators and water treatments in the pond or do I need outdoor-specific products?

thanks!
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 19:45
Re: new pond advice please! #9
Hey Avon,

If the ponds a 175 gallons then you dont ahve to have a filter but i would recommond it and i would allow for more fish than if you didnt have one. If you didnt want one you could plant it out well and create a natural pond with its own ecosystem but i would suggest a small "fountain pump" for areation at least.

In terms of little pumps look at the bladgon mini pond pumps, very good and very cheap (well where i work it is)

Aquarium water treatment will work but are very costly due to the amount of water they treat, thats why ponds ones are better.

P.S. In terms of gravel at the bottom, if you do you will regret it when you come to clean the pond out :D. You can get liner with gravel glued in which would work but its not cheap.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 21:03
Re: new pond advice please! #10
Hi avons82, you don't have to have a filter, you can opt to have some plants, and hope you get the right ones, enough of them and that they don't die. It does work, but often the fish will multiply too much, or the plants will take over the surface and you wont see the fish.

I would opt for a biological filter, uv and pump, which you get I will leave up to you and your budget, but a small one will be fine, but please do not get an "all in one" as they fail too easily, and you loose the lot when they fail.

A fountain will add oxygen into the water, but I would strongly suggest you have a separate pump for this.
There are two main reasons why.

1) All the water will go to the filter etc

2) You can turn just the fountain off if you want to.

If it helps I have just a fountain switched by a timer, so its only on when I am here (Different times for the week end) and does not run 24/7 like a filter does

You can get liner with grave stuck on it, but I have only ever seen it in 30cm wide strips, and its intended use is for pond edges.

Best only have gravel in a tank.