nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/5/2010 21:01
hitch hikers #1
Hi all,
I have just set up a marine aquarium boyu tl-550. I acquired some live rock and almost immediately I started noticing hitch hikers. I was wondering if there is any online reurces where I can go to identify what they are and if they are beneficial or harmful to my intended reef.

What I have seen so far,

Lots and lots of small white snails which appear to be feeding on the algae.

one snail about 1 or 2 cm diameter shell. Dark brown and beige shell.

Some tiny brown shrimp like worms. Move around in short sharp bursts relatively quickly.

One crab thing about an inch wide that camouflages well. Only seen once in the 4 weeks that I have had the rock and that was today which prompted me to write this. Given that I have been rock gazing for two weeks and only seen the crab once means he is probably more nocturnal and stays hidden.

I will try to get pics but my camera is rubbish.

Any advice as my water parameters suggest its time for first stock and I don't want to buy tank janitors only to have them get munched by rogue snails or crabs.
harro harro
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/5/2010 0:42
Re: hitch hikers #2
Do the small snails look like this
Resized Image
Pyramid Snail

if so, people say that you are better off removing them, they suck the blood of certain things.

tiny brown shrimp things...
Resized Image

could be Amphipod, they ok to leave in.

Crab, dunno without pic.

Brown Snail, dunno, prob will be ok to leave it.
milo909 milo909
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 23/5/2010 9:14
Re: hitch hikers #3
Hi, try this site for hitch-hiker id.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

If the snail you have are pyram snails then some feed on other snails and some feed on clams. I would certainly want a positive id on them before putting either of the above in. If it is them I don't think they eat algae though. I had an outbreak of these for a while and had to scrub my clam every other day for weeks to get rid of them. Got there in the end but it was hard work.
If you don't have a food source for them in your tank though, they will die out naturally.
HTH Miles.