sharkmad sharkmad
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 18:56
Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #1
Hi all. Just had a nasty surprise in my Cherry Shrimp tank. Little worms. A quick google says they're "planaria" Has anyone on here had any experience with them? The first one I squashed was about 4mm long, pink & flat. It was mooching along on the gravel. The others, (also squashed!) much smaller & white, were on the glass.
I also have Celestial Pearl fry in there.
Original Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 19:22
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #2
Planaria are harmless just a bit unsightly. Usually a sign of overfeeding as they are scavengers.

My fish eat the odd one that dares even show itself If I've overdone it on the bloodworm perhap I get a few, like thin bits of cotton about 2-3mm long. Some are fatter and flatter ones, but I've not experienced those to date. A very good gravel clean (a good filter clean too - be prepared when you switch it back on as they can be swished round the tank a bit). Cut back on feeding and they should vanish in a week or so. They don't harm any any livestock
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
sharkmad sharkmad
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 19:33
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #3
Thanks "aunty V" I have tonnes of shrimplets, so cleaning the gravel is a bit hair-raising at the moment! I've already lost 2 fry up the syphon & that was with a net over the bottom But I am very relieved to hear that my little guys & girls are not under threat from the worms <phew!> Interesting that you get them after blood worm. I noticed them after I used them to, but I only use frozen stuffs, for just such a reason.
Original Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 19:40
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #4
Yup, I use frozen too, defrosted in some warm water, rinsed under the tap in a tea sieve to get rid of the phosphate laden gloop. Given the fishies 'begging' I add a little at a time but I'm sure I fall foul of slightly overfeeding sometimes - it's hard when they are all the front gulping and dancing for you lol

Awww, shrimplets. Love em. Think my congos would think lunch had just arrived so no go for me.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 21:55
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #5
planaria feed on excess food, but will provide snacks for your fish too so dont squish them, leave them for the fish. as V said, an indication of overfeeding, but they dont last long once the fish spot them.

do you have many babies in your tank? do you have any pics, such pretty little fish!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
sharkmad sharkmad
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 22:15
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #6
Hi Coralline Blimey! I don't even feed my shrimps every day! I currently have 9 Celestial fry. Two parted company up the syphon <guilt ridden> I gave them 2 blood worms the other night & the worms were bigger than the fry! Pictures!?...I'm not bad with a camera, but I ain't that good either! I can but try. They are weeny though. I'll try tomorrow, they've gone to bed now. I have separated my adults in the hope that they'll make me a Grandma again.
Original Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 22:34
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #7
oh lol, was hoping they were a little bigger than that!! gosh no, wait til they are big enough to spread over a few pixels, bless!

hmm when i say 'overfeeding' that covers any uneaten food, planaria will be present small numbers, if you havent been gravel hoovering as much because of the fry, that could be just enough excess to increase numbers to a noticeable level
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
sharkmad sharkmad
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 23:00
Re: Shrimp tank invaders Harmful?? #8
Just when I'd got the Mission Impossible theme in my head! I cheated...the pic' is one of someone else's fry, but it's how big my biggest one is. The others are merely 2 eyes with a tail Original Image
Thank-You for clarifying the "over-feeding" thing...was starting to get paranoid.
Original Image