(1) 2 »
Ed the drunk Ed the drunk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 20:14
Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #1
Hi guys, im new to the site but reading your other articles you seem a friendly bunch,i was just wondering about crabs?
iv had 1 red claw crab which was sold to me as fully aquatic, so i gave it no access to land but it stopped moving after about two days and then died, since then i have been to other shops and they will only sell red claw crabs as semi aquatic, i now have a vampire crab in my 64L tank with some driftwood resting on the jewel filter so he can climb on top which he seems to like, BUT he was sold as fully aquatic again from a shop whos opinion i trust alot more,
so my question is, is anyone else here more experienced with vampire crabs and should i give him more land?
mikethorpe1968 mikethorpe1968
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 20:26
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #2
Hi Ed and welcome to fk,

I'm no expert and don't keep crabs myself but I just did a quick websearch and from what i've read they appear to be semi aquatic prefering land so I would be inclined to give more land and then it can please its self.
Mike <><

Fishless Cycle
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 20:28
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #3
Hi Ed

I understand both of these species as doing better in shallow water and they must have access to land too. They are only semi-aquatic. HTH
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 20:36
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #4
thanks for the advice mike, like i say its a juwel built in filter so he can completely dry out on it but he returns to the water rarely to feed. he is kept with my other fish so i cant lower the water level and i would have to use a preety big rock to create another island, funny thing is i lost him this morning!, i hovered the gravel and cleaned my sponges as i usually do and i couldnt see him so i checked in the filter... no sign...he was under my sofa!!! he got out through my defences and escaped, lucky i bothered to check god knows how far he could have gone, so iv now increaced the defences. lets see if he gets out again?
mikethorpe1968 mikethorpe1968
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 20:44
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #5
Thats well funny ed you'll have to call him Alcatraz
Mike <><

Fishless Cycle
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 21:04
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #6
My LFS keeps them in long low tanks. Gravel and small stones at one end sloped and water, no more than 4-5 inches or so at the other end. They need dry land, more than water tbh, so may not be ideally suited to the Juwel set up.

Your story reminds me of another forum members who added some shrimp to his upstairs tank some years ago. When his girlfriend went upstairs later to use the bathroom, one was merrily sitting on the landing, watching the world go by
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 21:13
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #7
lol, they do look guilty especially when on land, my lfs keep them fully submerged with congo frogs strangely same with their panther crabs, i do have a 40l tank which i am planning to use for either razorback turtles or a LARGER crab but i dont have a heater or light for it and am unsure which heater to buy? dothey sell stubby ones for shallow water? also could i put my vampire with a large panther for example or am i just asking for trouble?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/4/2010 21:35
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #8
Yes, the water is filtered in the shops tank but I've never paid too much attention to how, as I just tend to walk past and go 'ooooh' at their lovely colours. They are very pretty in a err...crab like way. I shall have a good nosey the next time I'm in. Not sure about mixing sizes. Just a thought, but there are some little filters you can buy though that should be small enough to be submerged in low water level tanks, given it would be a species tank only.
me499 me499
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Avon
  • Posted on: 4/5/2010 9:08
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #9
it looks like these are semi aquatic and do need to get out of the water, any of my lfs that stock crabs keep them fully submerged with no access to land and sell them as fully aquatic (which is wrong).

i found a website that sell ATLANTIS UNDERWATER ISLANDS (just google them and it will find the website)

i think these are the best solution to this problem and i will be getting 1 when i get a vampire

you might also want to consider a red clawed crab, they arent as pretty as vampires but are more aquatic (but still need some land).

hope this helps
Anonymous  
Re: Vampire Crabs, fully aquatic? #10
The setup below is ideal for Vampire Crabs and fairly easy to build with a little bit of know-how and some sticky-back Plastic. (The oldies on here will understand that bit)

Attach file:

jpg  (124.52 KB)
7567_4bdffc86ed13a.jpg 736X316 px