(1) 2 »
Tracywt2 Tracywt2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/3/2010 20:50
Pond liners - pvc verses butyl?? #1
After developing a rather alarming leak in our pond we have moved the fish (koi etc) to a large paddling pool while we replace the liner. Now to decide whether to go with pvc - which we have just taken out, or try butyl/epalyn? We have heard various for's and against's for both, anyone out there have an opinion on which is best? To give a rough idea, our pond is a freeform shape (some corners) and is about 20'x 10'x 4'. Many thanks for any advice, Tracy
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/3/2010 21:32
Re: Pond liners - pvc verses butyl?? #2
My 2p worth.

Butyl is good, but I have always found it to be too cumbersome.

I would opt for "PVC" since butyl is thicker and in my opinion much more awkward to move / manipulate.

When I say PVC I do not mean the cheap stuff, I mean something that is made from ?PVC?, an example is "polyex"
Mitchofmedway Mitchofmedway
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 24/3/2010 16:50
Re: Pond liners - pvc verses butyl?? #3
I also opted for a good quality PVC product, due to wanting to manipulate the liner to my pond shape without to many creases. Some good deals online, with free underlay etc.
Original Image
Tracywt2 Tracywt2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 26/3/2010 19:37
Re: Pond liners - pvc verses butyl?? #4
Thanks for your posts, Tracy
Tracywt2 Tracywt2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2010 23:18
Concrete and fish #5
Hi. We decided to go with pvc liner and have constructed the pond as follows -

PVC Liner with a brick and concrete mortar joint inner. Basically, we have pvc lined the pond then on the upper shelf have put bricks and mortar on the inner side of the pond wall and backfilled between the liner and outerside soil. Vertical layers go Cement - liner - brick wall with mortar - water. Will the lime in the bricks and mortar affect the fish when we put them back, do we need to use something to help the ph or is there anything else you can recommend?
We have only done chosen this method to reduce the risk of rats eating through the liner again and wasn't the way we had originally built the pond so want to make things more robust this time. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Tracy
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 7:02
Re: Concrete and fish #6
Picture, picture!

I think I understand, but a picture would be better. If there is to be cement in direct contact with water, it must be sealed, as the lime can alter the ph. You can of course leave it for a few months filling and emptying but a sealer is quicker. The most popular non toxic sealer is called G4
Tracywt2 Tracywt2
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 16:26
Re: Concrete and fish #7
Hi

Picture now attached. This is just part of the pond to show how we have constructed it. Just to give you an idea of dimensions, the pond is 20ft long, 13ft wide and 4.5ft at the deepest.

What is your opinion on the impact the mortar and bricks will have on the water quality.

Many thanks for your help, Tracy .

Attach file:

jpg  (70.43 KB)
10280_4bdda7c71fa7d.jpg 500X375 px
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 18:12
Re: Concrete and fish #8
It will look nice when finished. All cement contains lime which will affect the ph of the water, ideally it will need to be sealed.
Byg Nyge Byg Nyge
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/5/2010 17:44
Re: Concrete and fish #9
Hi there, cement that has not yet cured (set and stopped reacting ) is deadly to fish, they die in agony they literally burn up like being in an acid bath! My mother-in-law lost all her fish when wet cement leaked into the pond after someone reset the edging stones. Seal it and leave at least one month before adding fish. The cement should be inert by then. I used to work in the concrete industry so in this case I do know what I'm talking about. You would have been better off leaving the liner over the bricks using a suitable underlay.
:Where there's life there's usually a tax
Byg Nyge Byg Nyge
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 3/5/2010 17:50
Re: Concrete and fish #10
Sorry,here I go again- those sharp brick edges won't do your fish a great deal of good either esp. if you want koi in there, scrapes, lost scales and other damage will harbour infection as well as the initial injuries.
:Where there's life there's usually a tax