joanne42 joanne42
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2010 21:51
25ltr tank upgrading to 54ltr transfer advice? #1
I have had a 25ltr tropical tank set up for about 7 years and I have purchased a new 54ltr tank. Does anyone have any advice on transferring the water as it is double the size.

I am transferring the existing water across into the new tank. I am ok to fill the other half with new water because I have got the fish to transfer into the new tank as well? I will transfer the filter media out of the old filter and put in my new filter.

Will this be straight forward or will I get water quality problems?

Has anybody got any useful advice?
mkiss mkiss
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/2/2010 22:11
Re: 25ltr tank upgrading to 54ltr transfer advice? #2
if you are setting it up straight away, then thats the best way to do it water and filter across, and obviously top up with treated water, but if it was me, and i was having no problems with the 1st tank i would start from scratch, but with squeasing the old filter media into the new sponge. that way if you do have any problems you know your fish are safe. What are you keeping?
Where there is life there is trouble, and where there is trouble theres fun!
joanne42 joanne42
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/2/2010 22:20
Re: 25ltr tank upgrading to 54ltr transfer advice? #3
All Ive got in there is neon tetras and blue emperor tetras. Once my new tank is up and running I want to introduce some threadfin rainbows.
mkiss mkiss
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/2/2010 22:31
Re: 25ltr tank upgrading to 54ltr transfer advice? #4
congrats on the upgrade they should be much happier in their new home! if you want to add a few new fish especialy if your tetras have been alone for a long time i would do a full tank cycle (speeded up with the old media) and leave your small tank as a quarintine tank for your new fish that way you are safe and wont bring in anything unsupected from the lfs
Where there is life there is trouble, and where there is trouble theres fun!