lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/2/2010 15:30
help, think its ammonia #1
hi all long time no see i know.
i thinking i have a big problem in my goldie tank.
full story, filter was almost blocked the week before last so cleaned it all out in tank water, did water change.
water cleaned up nice, (you can slap me stupid now cause i didn't do my tests) well i have lost two fishes,(boo hoo) my black more and my rescue nemo (who stayed tiny so i think he was stunted from the original tank i got him from, but long story on here somewhere)
been doing 35% water changes since nemo died (sat) AFTER the water change today cause two more of my fish acting sad, i did an ammonia test. it turned so dark it looked black. i have also tested the tap and that turned darkish green, so 1 i am presuming (as this is what happened to my amonia test last time) that it has gone off.
and 2. that as it was a darker colour than the tap, that i do have ammonia.

what i am asking is while i run out to the local pets are us place, to get a new test, witch is the ammolock type stuff that is the good one as opposed to the one that will bugger up my filters.
tank is 360l (or 380 but will go with the lower one as i cant rember off the top of my head) 4 large goldies left. a 400l external pump and a 200l internal.

thanks
lolly

ps. just realised profile well out of date

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/2/2010 15:36
Re: help, think its ammonia #2
Oh bummer that is sad. I've never used any ammonia locking stuff but I think amquel is the one that everyone recommends. Any chance you can get some bactinettes as well? They really helped when my filter was mysteriously switched off one night
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 8/2/2010 15:41
Re: help, think its ammonia #3
i will see what cheep and cheerful supermarket pet shop has to offer, (dont hold out much hope for bacteriaets) hubby has to take me to the semi decent fish shops, as i tend to get lost and they 30 miles away, will watch for aquamel though, as i need something.
thaks fishy

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/2/2010 16:00
Re: help, think its ammonia #4
If you can't get Amquel the others to look out for are AmGuard and Prime. The difference is Amguard deals with ammonia, Amquel deals with ammonia and nitrite and Prime deals with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, heavy metals, chlorine and chloramine.

None of these actually remove the ammonia, they simply make it non-toxic to fish so you can still read the total ammonia levels with most test kits and the filter bacteria can still consume it.
To determine if there is any toxic ammonia left after treatment you will need a test kit specifically for toxic ammonia or an "Ammonia Alert" disk.
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 8/2/2010 16:34
Re: help, think its ammonia #5
back from shop.
new ammonia test (couldnt afford the whole lot as i just paid over a grand on fixin my car) the only stuff that they had was interpet ammonia remover.
i have grabed it anyway.
it tells you what to add, and then tells you to wait 2 hours and test for ammonia again. how can i tell if this will kill my filters or not. or what can i do about it if it is killing my filters. have done a re test of the water and its horrorfing, its at least an 8. do i do another big water change before i treat, or just treat. not forgetting that its only a coulple of hours since i did the last one.

help please.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
lollypop lollypop
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/2/2010 22:37
Re: help, think its ammonia #6
big water change again today. but had lost another one this morning. he was my original goldfish, quite a big fella not as big as dory and sushi. hoping like mad that they will pull through. so sad. three gone altogether so far.

lolly
today i am lime flavor.
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 10/2/2010 1:20
Re: help, think its ammonia #7
in this case with that amount of ammonia 50 percent water change hoover the gravel rugurosly and treat with an ammonia remover after that 10 percent water changes daily till ammonia reads 0 agean
[img]http://i275.p