Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/2/2010 22:01
Assassin Snails Eggs & Mating #1
Evening everyone.

Just wondering if anyone can show me to some pictures of Assassin Snail eggs?

I've 5 in my tank and the past week or so 4 of them have paired off and have been stuck together in twos ever since.

At first I thought it was an act of cannibalism, but there's still a few other snails they'd eat first and I've read that this is very rare/unheard of.

The pairs consist of one snail stuck to the side of the other, twitching occasionally. That's what's making me think they're getting down to business lol.

Just noticed some white 'eggs' on some plants. They're not like the normal slimey snail eggs I've seen, but seem to be in 1-egg scatters instead of clumps of them. They look like a white centre, with clear coating. Any ideas, can I expect baby assassins or is it something else?

Cheers
emma86 emma86
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 3/2/2010 21:26
Re: Assassin Snails Eggs & Mating #2
I have the same problem! Since I bought my plants argh! I now only have 2 plants, I thought I got rid of them all but they just keep appearing! Little things on the side if the glass, I got 12 out today and I saw a huge snail but I couldnt get him! They must all be mating like mad!
I would like to know how to deal with this as their annoying me now!
If you google Assassin Snail eggs and look at images, it should be what you have, well its what I have!
64L tank - Water ph 7.2 - Interpet internal filter PH2 - 5 Gold Tetra - 4 Glowlight Tetra

40L tank, 1 Siamese Fighter. Interpet mini filter.
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 3/2/2010 21:31
Re: Assassin Snails Eggs & Mating #3
Hey Emma

I put the assassin snails in there intentionally to keep down the pest snails that come in with plants! If they've bred in my tank I'm not asking for help on stopping it but on encouraging it! They're really useful and have almost wiped out the pest snails to the point where I'm going to have to get some more!

The eggs you have, will probably be either Bladder or Ramshorn snail eggs as this is what I got with my plants and there was hundreds of eggs and about 30 snails!

If you're looking to get rid of pest snails - see Silvertip as he's still selling Assassin Snails and I can vouch for them doing the trick
emma86 emma86
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 3/2/2010 21:34
Re: Assassin Snails Eggs & Mating #4
Oh right, I got confused I thought you was on about pest snails! I don't want any snails in my tank at all lol is there any way to get rid of them? Sorry I should be asking myself, not gatecrashing your thread!
64L tank - Water ph 7.2 - Interpet internal filter PH2 - 5 Gold Tetra - 4 Glowlight Tetra

40L tank, 1 Siamese Fighter. Interpet mini filter.
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 3/2/2010 21:38
Re: Assassin Snails Eggs & Mating #5
Lol I've done it enough times to you and others so don't worry

The assassin snails I put in got rid of most of them really quickly. Plus they look a lot nicer than the pest snails...very colourful:

Original Image

Work a treat