(1) 2 3 4 »
Taylor Taylor
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 2:30
My Black Moore, Mollie... #1
I recently bought a female Black Moore named Mollie that is a problem child. She eats a lot, she got stuck in a little house thing we bought for her, and she moves around too much. I have a feeling we aren't taking care of her the way she really needs care because this is our first Black Moore and not a Beta fish. Is there any tips/things that should be done with Black Moores?
Pixie Pixie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 12:55
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #2
Hi Taylor!
I think the thing you have to be careful about with black moors is that as you have probably noticed with Mollie, their eyes stand out a bit from their head so they are vulnerable. For this reason it wouldn't be a good idea to have sharp rocks or edges in the tank. Their eyes can get injured and infected.
If you have something in the tank where Mollie can get stuck in, it is probably not big enough, so I would remove it. She will still grow. How big is she now? I think black moors can grow up to 22cm.
You say she moves around too much... That's a good sign
If her movements are not jerky or nervous as if she was irritated by something, it means she is a happy fish.
If fish do not move, then you worry! I guess Mollie is a young fish and my young fantail does the same, he is very active.
Have you got any plants in your tank? If she swims around in circles she may be trying to find some hiding place. That's why plants are important; they make fish feel more secure.
As for more tips, the same applies as to other goldfish, so have a look through other posts to find out more.
Have you got tests to check water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph?
Good luck with Mollie!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 13:15
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #3
Hello Taylor and welcome to fishkeeping Black moors are lovely fish but can be very delicate, Pixie has given you some good tips there, fancy goldfish have a habit of getting stuck in the most awkward of places, one of my very large fancys did just that in a large log type ornament the other week "silly fish" but was ok thank goodness when I got her out, also plants are good for them to nibble at and hide in gives them some security, you say your black moor moves about too much "in what way" can you explain.

Quote:
Taylor wrote
She eats a lot,

Goldfish will eat and eat the more you feed them this is normall in one end out the other, the only problem is the more they eat the more mess for the filter to cope with so you will end up with a dirty tank, that is why you should only feed a little about twice a day.
Tips for looking after black moors as pixie mentioned no sharp ornaments, plants live or silk for security, check water parimetors weekly, also do not have the tank too cold as fancies prefer the temperature to be slightly warmer than regular goldfish about 22c-24c, I hope you continue to enjoy our friendly forum which is being updated at this very minute so we will have some extra good stuff for all our members
Taylor Taylor
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 16:31
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #4
Wow! Thanks for the information! Yea, the house was bought by my mom, lol, and I told her that it was too small for her (shes especially really fat even when we bought her) and my mom kinda was like "Oh, she'll be fine" and then Mollie shoved her eyes and fat body in there, and tried to get out of the smallest hole in the bottom lol. Talk about a funny fish! Now this morning she decided to not eat. I do have a plastic tree in there, and she likes going through it. Is there anyother toys that you guys think she would like in her tank?
Pixie Pixie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 17:20
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #5
Taylor, I think you mentioned your fish is 1 inch long, very young. How do you know it is female? Just wondering...

Watch out if your fish refuses to eat, sometimes it may be an early sign that something is not quite right... for example water.
I mean here if she does not show interest in food because if she is interested and eager when you put food in but does not eat it may simply be that she does not like the food. My Deedoo refused to eat ants eggs although other goldfish devoured them! They have their own personalities and preferences, like us!
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 11/7/2004 18:50
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #6
Hello Taylor

I think you could be our first international member
Whereabouts in the U.S. do you live (i know it says PA but not sure which state that is )

Your Black Moor sounds a good example, being very energetic
I have Orandas who are quite lazy swimmers

I have found my fish enjoy playing in plants most - they also enjoy eating them sometimes! I have had my Orandas lose a scale or two getting stuck in ornaments, so i am careful with what i chose for them

Resized Image
Taylor Taylor
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 12/7/2004 18:17
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #7
Wow! I'm the first?! PA stands for Pennsylvania. Ok, I think she isn't eating because of these new rainbow stones we bought for both her and my beta fish, Junior. Junior would eat a lot until we got these stones and now he doesn't eat. Should I hand feed Mollie?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/7/2004 18:35
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #8
You could try to coax her with some daphnia or blood worms, goldfish dont normally go off their food unless they are ill, have you tested the tank water at all if so what are your readings, cant remember if you mentioned that you did or not.
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 13/7/2004 9:37
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #9
Cool! i played Yahoo online pool with a guy from Pennsylvania and it sounds a nice place

Taylor, have you completely changed the stones on the floor of the tank with the rainbow stones or are they a decoration? as good bacteria live in the gravel/stones/sand that covers the tank floor and if there is no good bacteria this could make Mollie feel unwell
Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: My Black Moore, Mollie... #10
yep, I dont think its the actual stone but like lindsay says, you distroyed all the good bacteria present in the gravel, im wondering whether you need to add some bacterlife, to boost the bacteria level abit, but im not sure if it will help, what do you think goldy.