gtxxx gtxxx
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Selkirkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 21:31
Stuck stones #1
Occaisionally I notice that my goldfish appear to get a stone stuck in its mouth. I usually give them a good half hour then use a small pair of tweezers to get it out is this the right way to go about it, or will they eventually clear it (It never seems to happen when I away on holiday right enough)?
GT
Squish Squish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Northumberland
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 21:35
Re: Stuck stones #2
Hi GT,

What type of gravel are you using? We tend to recommend the 3-5 mm stuff such as quartz or dorset pea gravel. This is because the larger gravel can get stuck in the mouth whereas the 3-5mm gravel is too big to be ingested but generally too small to get stuck. If you're using the larger size, it might be worth considering changing it for the smaller stuff

Lisa
Brendan 1 Brendan 1
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 27/1/2010 22:01
Re: Stuck stones #3
I've had that happen once. It was difficult to get out (my fish go crazy when you net them). Tweezers are the only way if it doesn't work itself out by itself.
gtxxx gtxxx
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Selkirkshire
  • Posted on: 28/1/2010 20:26
Re: Stuck stones #4
yeah it's dorset gravel of that size, I'm of the thinking that if it gets in it can get out but Like I say I wait a while before netting and it's usually the same culprit and it's usually going nuts trying to get it out. Tweezers from a swiss army knife work well. just wondered if it was a common problem?
GT
fishnet fishnet
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 31/1/2010 19:49
Re: Stuck stones #5
Never seen any of my fish get a stone stuck but my fantail has had a lump of tubifex stuck in its mouth(it ate it before it had come apart in the water properly) it sulked behind a plant 'chewing' for about 10 minutes till it disintegrated I now feed tubifex by holding it in my fingers so they only 'peck' small bits off as it dissolves.