Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 9:56
Antibiotics #1
Hi Fishy Friends,
I decided to go with oral antibiotics for Ziggi because I was concerned about the stress of moving her into quarantine as she didn't take it well last time. After much stress I have got them and administered the first dose. My question is some places say three days, some 7 days and other places say 10 days, how long do you think I should continue this treatment?
PS, she is having a particularly difficult day today, so it hasn't come a moment too soon.
Oh, and I also salted the tank on guidance from a very knowledgeable fish dealer, to relieve osmotic pressure.
Thank you.
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 19:17
Re: Antibiotics #2
Aww Frances, sorry nobody has helped you out yet, and sorry to hear Ziggi is having a bad time. How is she tonight? I would say do the longest you can with antibiotics, have you asked Andy Green for his advice? Hopefully Jay will be along soon to advise.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 19:41
Re: Antibiotics #3
Hi frances,

Don't know if i'll be much help, but can you give us a quick run down on the problem's Ziggy's having, you said you've gone for Oral antibiotic, what is it?

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 19:57
Re: Antibiotics #4
Isn't Ziggi the one in this thread here?

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=24531&forum=1

Is it baytril you've got? I got some from the vet for one of mine, he said to give him one drop per day for ten days. He gave us a little syringe (no needle, obviously!) and we had to catch him, drop one drop in his mouth while holding his head out of water then pop him back in the water
It's Not Just A Fish
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 20:08
Re: Antibiotics #5
Quote:

suey2 wrote:
Isn't Ziggi the one in this thread here?

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=24531&forum=)

Yeah that's the one Suey2. She's a beautiful panda moor, Frances shared many pics of her on PFK, it's such a shame she's having these problems.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 20:26
Re: Antibiotics #6
Thanks for the concern, tonight I feel like an awful fishkeeper and ready to pack it in.
Jay, further to the previous thread, the following has happened:
She has now floated, and most the time upside down for two days. She rights herself and eats like normal. I have made Amoxicillin into a gel food and started her on it this morning (as per Andy Green's advice). However, she seems to be more floaty and I am seriously considering stopping it. This evening I even put some Epsom salts into her food to try to help her constipation. Her stomach is so fat she looks like she will burst (but no raised scales). I am at my wit's end, every time I get her right it lasts for a day and then she is the same again. I would appreciate any advice no matter how trivial anyone may think it is, because something may work somewhere.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 20:41
Re: Antibiotics #7
Aw, don't feel bad Frances, we've all been there - I know I have, it's horrible seeing them in trouble.

I think you said you had read the swimbladder thread here - post 43 and 44 on P5 are good reading so just wanted to check you had seen it.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

What is the gel bit of the gel food? Maybe an outside chance she is intolerant to it

I know I'm not familiar with her and the things you've done so I'll just list all the things I can think of then you can see if anything strikes a chord, I know you've detailed lots already but my brain isn't what it could be tonight and I'm rapidly losing track of threads at the mo!

She's not eggbound is she?

Is she swollen on both sides or one side?

Is she pineconing?

Peas have a lot of sugar in them - maybe she isn't tolerating the sugar and the bacteria in her guts are having a field day with sugar to feed on. Have you tried feeding her nothing but algae wafers for a week? My late pearlscale got to the point where that was all she could eat without floating and bloating - but she could eat algae wafers with no issues. I read that goldies can benefit from spirulina in their diet to help digestion so I use the ocean nutrition wafers with added spirulina and have just bought some JBL spirulina flakes. Bloodworm are also quite sugary I'm sure.

Has she been wormed?

Have you tried an epsom salt bath?

I know it sounds gross but any chance of a pic of her poo? Stringy poo can be multitude of sins! Any chance of a pic of her?

Will keep mulling and see if anything else comes to mind
It's Not Just A Fish
Francesvdm Francesvdm
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 20:50
Re: Antibiotics #8
Hi Suey,
Thanks for that. I have read the thread about two weeks ago and followed everything on it to the letter. She is not pineconing (yet). Her poo (when she has any) varies, sometimes long and stringy and white, and sometimes just breaks up (normal?). I don't think she is eggbound because she is swollen on both sides, and this has been happening frequently and when she comes right it disappears.
The gel food is made with gelatine, but I have kept a food diary and she doesn't seem to have any correlation to food and her floating.
I have tried an Epsom salts bath (several times) as well as following some guidance on the net to put it into my tank - neither had any effect.
She has been dewormed twice, coz that was my first thought.
She is currently exhausted from fighting all day to stay upright and is now upside down.
They are my life and I don't want to lose her!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 21:04
Re: Antibiotics #9
If it's made with beef gelatine I'd be a little cautious, there was a discussion on here a while back on food - goldies wouldn't naturally eat mammal produce and apparently it can sometimes cause problems Will see if I can find it.

If you pick her up can you feel any lumps or bumps in her? I'm just wondering if it is something more sinister such as an internal tumour - don't want to worry you, it's just another thought.

You are doing all you can for her, don't beat yourself up
It's Not Just A Fish
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 21:05
Re: Antibiotics #10
BTW - if she is upsidedown and any part of her is out of the water smear some vaseline on her to protect her from drying out
It's Not Just A Fish