(1) 2 3 4 »
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 22:38
angie35 needs some help with her fish #1
angie35 has just joined up and has posted a pic of her fish and a note on the caresheet for fantails asking for help - this is the pic

Resized Image

The fish has a lump on it's rear by the tail. Thanks for the heads up Kellie

Hi angie35 - welcome to FK Hope you see this thread. Please could you give us a little more info on your fish? If you could answer the following questions that would be really helpful

Size of tank in Litre or Gallons, if you don't know the water capacity then the physical size of the tank L x W x H?

What filter do you use?

How long has the tank been setup?

What water tests have you done and what are the readings pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Phosphate, water temperature?

When was the last water change and how much did you change?

A list of all the inhabitants?

When did you last add fish, plants, ornaments or other tank equipment?

Have you added any medication?

Have you been able to touch the lump? If so what does it feel like? Does it seem like it is full of blood/pus or solid?

Does the fish have any other problems such as lethargy, sitting with clamped fins, red streaking in fins/tail, red patches on body, grey patches, fluffy bits or cloudy eyes?

To be honest she looks like she has a rather nasty bacterial infection as well as a lump, she does look like she has some red streaking and a red patch on her side?

If you can get back to us with some more info we'll be able to advise
It's Not Just A Fish
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/1/2010 22:59
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #2
I have to agree with Suey2, it looks like a bacterial infection. My initial thinking is that it could be environmental, ie water-related. If you could answer Suey2's questions asap we'll be able to assist you further with the diagnosis and course of action.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
angie35 angie35
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 13:50
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #3
thank you for this, more info, the tank is 60 litres its been setup for about 3 and a half years, we changed 25% yesterday and a full tank clean 7 days before, theres 4 weather loaches and thats it, nothing new has been added, currant medication on advice from pet shop melafix, i havent touched it but it looks soft, i m having problems with the loaches nibbling on the growth but have no means to separate them, bit lethargic but always has been, no streaking or red patches, the filter i use are usually 2 but only 1 at the moment with the medication and that one is tetratec and interpet??
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 20:53
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #4
Hi - are you able to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? That would really help rule out the usual suspects. When you clean the filter do you clean it in tap water or tank water? What do you mean by a full tank clean?

She does look like she has red streaks in her tail and there does seem to be a red patch on her right hand side - can you have another look and double check her?

When you say a bit lethargic can give a bit more detail? Does she sit on the gravel with her fins held against her body?

I'd do another 25% water change - just to check, you are using a dechlorinator for the water before you put it in the tank?

I do think she has a bacterial infection - I'd try some myxazin, it's a medication by a company called Waterlife. Where in Surrey are you? I know Chessington Garden Centre sells it.

Need to know where the infection has come from though so as I say, water results would be great

Those loaches are naughty fellas, they also grow very big too so be prepared! You could use a plastic storage box to separate her such as a 'really useful storage box' like this ://www.staples.co.uk/office-suppl ... tacking-storage-box-clear

If you have two filters you could put one in the box with her
It's Not Just A Fish
rachyw82 rachyw82
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 21/1/2010 22:55
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #5
I think you should separate the loaches from your pretty goldfish, if there is bullying and/or nipping then this is only going to cause further problems and stress. The loaches may be finding the wound 'attractive', hence why they are nipping at it.

I'm still with suey2 that it is bacterial. You must perform water tests for the pH, ammonia, nitrITE and nitrATE and post results here in order for us to make a more detailed analysis. It almost looks like an ulcer, or a body sore. Someone else may be able to advise better, Jay?!

Try and separate the loaches and please get a test kit or get your water tested at an lfs and post the results on here, it would help us to help you.
Juwel Rio 180 - female black moor & female panda moor
Fluval Roma 125 - male red fantail & female red cap oranda
Eheim 2213 classic canister filter on each tank
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 1:06
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #6
The lump looks like lymphocystis to me, but the photo's not that clear. Whatever the lump, the fish ought to be more active.
I think it's likely that the main concern is water quality, there's little point treating anything else until the water is prestine.

As Suey asked, What did you mean by a full tank clean?
If you mean you scrubbed everything under the tap you may have created a problem. Could tell us exactly what you've done with the tank in the last couple of weeks, explaining exactly how you cleaned it & how you cleaned the filters.

The Loaches don't belong in that tank, they are unsuitable tank mates for Fancy Goldfish due to them being such active fish.
Weather Loaches are sensitive fish and can't withstand the level of medication often required to treat Goldfish.
Substrate should be fine sand for Weather Loaches & not coarse gravel on which they can easily damage thier barbels, leaving them open to secondary infections.
Weather Loaches require a large tank of at least 4ft long just to give them enough room to move freely.

Jay
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 10:50
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #7
I thought Lymphocystis was small white lumps that are caused by a virus? I didn't realise they could get so large. Can they be either? Small and white, or large and coloured like the one on this fish?

I completely agree that the loaches shouldn't be in the tank, and since they are are nibbling at the Oranda's injury, I don't really see that you have a choice but to move them. The injury will only get worse if it's being picked at constantly.

I also agree that water issues are likely the cause here - more info is needed though.
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
Jaywickrob Jaywickrob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 11:31
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #8
Lympho, also known as cauliflower disease, is viral and can be lots of small white spots/growths or just one big one or a combination of both.
"Treatment when the treatment is worse than the disease kills fish"
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 12:10
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #9
I have seen photos of koi with lymphocystis starting off as white cauliflower lumps then turning red or bruised looking, but as everyone's saying water conditions are the first thing to sort out, and the signs of at least a secondary bacterial infection from the red streaks too, that looks a very miserable fish
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 22/1/2010 13:33
Re: angie35 needs some help with her fish #10
Ah, thanks Jay. Was just asking cos I think my fantail has always carried this virus and has always shown mild symptoms. He has small white spots, just one or two at a time, and always on his tail, that appear and then disapear over time. Gradually they get smaller and it can take months for them to go. Read up on it, and found it to be likely a viral thing - like coldsores for humans!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!