(1) 2 3 4 »
melanie22282 melanie22282
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 19:00
compatible fish? #1
Hey everyone I've got 2 clown loach and a v large golden algae eater and a penguin tetra in my 96 litre capacity tank. I need to revamp it with more fish plants and anything else I can put in.

I was just wondering if anyone can offer any ideas as to what fish would suit this community.. can most go in? I like the personality of the loaches and need more going on in there. I don't know loads about fish but I've been keeping these for about 18 months and have all the water/tank science sorted, just gotta make it more exciting now.

Any ideas?

Thanks x
emma86 emma86
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 19:28
Re: compatible fish? #2
Hello, Im new to all this and im currently cycling my tank. All I can suggest is more tetras. You just have the one tetra fish? They are best kept in groups of 6 or more. Im no good at what fish can go together yet! Im just a beginner!
64L tank - Water ph 7.2 - Interpet internal filter PH2 - 5 Gold Tetra - 4 Glowlight Tetra

40L tank, 1 Siamese Fighter. Interpet mini filter.
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 20:01
Re: compatible fish? #3
Hi Melanie

Before you think about adding anymore fish you might want to read up on clown loaches - here is the link

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ ... -chromobotia-macracanthus

Check out the videos inparticular. Basically, they will get really big (up to 30cm long) and your current tank isn't going to be suitable at all as it will be too small for them. If you keep them in your current tank their growth will stunt and their health will suffer. I currently have a 260l tank and have 5 clown loaches but I know that in a couple of years time I will need to upgrade to a minimum of 500l to care for them properly. Plus they do have a very long lifespan. So whilst they are awesome fish - they are total tank busters.

My other bit of bad news is that they should really only ever be kept in groups of 5+ as they are highly social fish and can become lethargic and wane without suitable company. The trouble is, is that most lfs sell these fish as suitable for a community aquarium and don't give people the proper information. I can say this, hand on heart, because I bought my first two, Bert and Ernie from Pets at home, many moons ago and was in the same situation as yourself with two clown loaches in an unsuitably small tank.

So I suppose the question is, do you want to commit to the long term well-being of the fish by providing them with a much larger tank and a few more clown loach friends?

Sorry to be the bearer of not such positive news. I hope this helps you decide on what to do about your tank and stocking levels.

Fizz
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 20:42
Re: compatible fish? #4
That link isn't working.. :S

No one told me they got that big when I bought them from the fish centre originally and today the bloke there told me they get to 30cm, I was shocked as I've had them for 18 months and they don't seem to have grown at all in that time.

I orignally had 3 tetras but 2 died. Also had a beta/siamese fighting fish but that died too.

I have been having problems with nitrate due to my dad over-feeding them but I'm cleaning and cycling the water so should have this sorted in the next week.

I can't afford or house a tank bigger than I already have unfortunately...
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 20:54
Re: compatible fish? #5
Hi melanie, welcome to FK

That link works for me, have you got blockers on your PC?

Fizzi is right, you are quite overstocked already I'm afraid. Have a look here at the care sheet: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=101

Fish not growing is usually a sign of stunting when they are kept in tanks that are small. The fish stops growing but the organs continue to do so Tip for Dad: hide the fish food Nitrate should be under 20 ideally. 25% daily water changes with dechlorinated water until it's under control will help a lot.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 20:58
Re: compatible fish? #6
And just to add to what V's said, over-feeding can cause an increase in your levels of ammonia which is really harmful to fish. Do you carry out regular water testing? You mention that the nitrates are high - would you mind posting readings for your water, Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all very helpful to get any idea about your tank.

Fizz

P.s Just cut and paste the link into your browser - it should work that way.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 21:06
Re: compatible fish? #7
Yeah cut and pasting didn't work but I navigated via the home page which was fine.

Water was tested today and everything's fine except nitrate. I don't really know what to do for the best now. I bought one loach and was then told they don't like to be alone so bought the other to keep it company but getting more and a bigger tank simply isn't an option.

I did a 50% water change a few days ago due to large algae growth (like slime!). After doing water checks today I have replaced the carbon filter, done a 10% dechlorinated water change and added a solution to help the tank with the good bacteria it's lost through the water change. I plan to do the same again in a few days time.

I just don't know what to do about the stocking now, the tank looks so sparse, wanted to get some more tetras :(
emma86 emma86
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 21:30
Re: compatible fish? #8
Cant you give the loaches to anyone you know that has a bigger tank or to a LFS that will take good care of them - not saying you aren't but they will have bigger tanks! It is a shame but then you could just stick to tetras and bottom feeders to eat all that algae!
64L tank - Water ph 7.2 - Interpet internal filter PH2 - 5 Gold Tetra - 4 Glowlight Tetra

40L tank, 1 Siamese Fighter. Interpet mini filter.
Anonymous  
Re: compatible fish? #9
Hi Melanie, Welcome to FK.

First thing, you do not need the carbon filter in in all the time, it should only be used for removing any residue chemicals after medicating, or something similar. When carbon gets full it starts to leech its contents back into the water which can lead to high levels of Ammonia and Nitrites. Also solutions that claim to replace lost bacteria or cut down on cycling time are basically worthless as by the time you buy it the bacteria it is supposed to contain will be dead due to there life expectancy with oxygen is about an hour. As soon as the bottles are sealed the bacteria will be dead within the hour or so. The only way to grow the bacteria is to cycle the tank by allowing nature to do her thing.

Did you do the water test yourself or did somebody else do it for you. I.e the Local fish shop.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 21:48
Re: compatible fish? #10
Yeah the fish shop did the tests for me, they didn't come back that consistent but 2 nitrate test results both showed medium high levels. I'm hoping within the week the water will be much better quality, plenty of the good bacteria from the old filters still in there.