Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 11:37
Unwelcome snail(s) #1
Morning guys

Looked into my tank this morning, which is currently cycling and saw a tiny (3mm ish) snail on the glass.

I looked round for any others and saw what appeared to be air bubbles on my bogwood. I put my hand in to feel and they weren't air, they were actually slimey. Are these snail eggs?

And what do I do? The snail is to small to photogaph clearly.

:) thanks
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 13:38
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #2
On further inspection I don't think the 'slime' is snail eggs. It's actually just a slimey substance, white to greyish in color, see through. It's all over the bogwood, with airbubbles in parts of it, any ideas?
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 15:18
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #3
Just noticed the slime is also on one of the leaves on one plant. I read that this could be bacteria or a fungus. I've read a few posts about it wiping plants out, but I'm not too sure what it will be.

Let me try to explain it a little better.

It's see through white and slightly greyish. It's grown/appeared along part of the driftwood. It's like a coating on the wood, with air bubbles in parts of it. Seems like hairy bits are sticking out that are flowing in the water flow caused by the filter. Water has turned slightly murky after 3 days of cycling.

Ammonia is currently at 3ppm, day 3 of cycle.

Sorry for poor explanation!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 17:23
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #4
It does sound like snail eggs, this is an extreme close up of what they look like-PIC. If you google 'aquatic snail eggs' you will see loads more pics. Is that anything like what you can see?
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 17:32
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #5
Thanks for reply FF :)

No it's more like a white film, the bubbles are deffinitely air bubbles I can see inside the film.

I'm pretty sure it isn't eggs now, and more likely to be a fungus or bacteria of some kind.

I've googled it and there's plenty of results that come up but no pics.
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 20:34
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #6
Found this image on google images. It looks a lot like this, but not as thick/dense just yet. Really no idea what it is.

Attach file:

jpg  (227.66 KB)
10456_4b3916388819d.jpg 900X600 px
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 21:18
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #7
This is a common post here on newly cycling tanks where the wood added gets a white slime layer. The sides of the tank can get a bit slimy too sometimes during the cycle. It's not dangerous at all, and usually dissapears as the tank cycles over the 4-6 period. If it doesn't for any reason a quick scrub in a bucket of dechlorinated water with a new clean kitchen sponge towards the end of the cycle (and some wiping of the panes) before your last big water change to bring nitrate down before stocking, will remove any that's left in the tank.

Future Tip: Soaking the wood in a bucket of treated water for a few weeks before adding to the tank is the best preventative measure and then a quick srub down before adding to the set up.

Once stocked, most fish will finish off any bits you may have left/missed. As for the snails, once you set off down the route of live plants this is always going to be likely. Some snails in a tank can be quite good though Just don't overfeed the fish when stocked and you will keep them in check. Weight down a piece of cucumber and leave overnight, if you like. You can remove the ones munching on the veggies next morning. Won't get rid of all of them but will help
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Nayfeee Nayfeee
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 21:24
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #8
Thanks Violet put my mind at rest :)

As for the snail as long as he doesn't eat my plants he can stay. Gives me something to watch whilst the tank is cycling.

Or would it be cruel to leave him in the uncycled tank and better to just get rid?

Thanks again :)
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/12/2009 21:53
Re: Unwelcome snail(s) #9
I always removed any snails I spotted by hand when I was cycling previously, just because I felt bad about them being in water that had a 2ppm ammonia level every day.

I put them on the garden wall outside and the local blackbird got them instead Not sure if this was any better really, but at least someone got lunch
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti