bones bones
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/11/2009 18:03
whitespot #1
hi
my regal tang and my foxface have whitespot i have used esha oodinex in my tank the last 3 days ...the tang looks worse now i havent got a quarantine tank so thats out of the question..
what else can i do im at my wits end HELP.......
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/11/2009 18:50
Re: whitespot #2
You won't kill marine whitespot with reef safe medication

You can add a very large UV system and feed them vitamin enhanced foods plus do lots of water changes to keep it at bay but sooner or later its going to get them. They may develop an immunity for 6 months or so if you manage to keep them alive long enough, but it wont last.

http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/whitespot/index.htm

Get down to the supermarket and buy a large plastic container to set up as quarantine, use amguard to detoxify ammonia and a normal internal filter like a fluval 3+ or aquaball. A few plastic pipes can give the fish cover for security.
bones bones
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 11/11/2009 19:49
Re: whitespot #3
Thanks for your help....if i quarantine the infected fish will they live ?
cheers
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 11/11/2009 20:48
Re: whitespot #4
There is no reason they wont provided you caught it and treat them early enough. My regal tang and clown have had white spot and worse all at once and survived.

You have to quarantine and treat all the fish as they will all be infected even if they don't show it. You will also have to leave the display tank free of all fish for 4-8 weeks to ensure all the Ich in the tank die off naturally before adding fish back in. Keep the equipment from the quarantine tank away from the display tank too so as to avoid cross contamination.

If you only treat only some of the fish or don't leave the display tank fallow long enough they will simply get infected again as soon as you stop treatment.

Best of luck, any way we can help just ask.
bones bones
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 11/11/2009 21:25
Re: whitespot #5
whats the best treatment to use in a quarantine tank,,
its going to be a nightmare getting the fish out as my rock is stuck together...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 12/11/2009 0:55
Re: whitespot #6
Cuprazin is a good bet.
bones bones
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 12/11/2009 7:11
Re: whitespot #7
thank you i will try and have it all done by next week if mty fish catching skills are any good...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 12/11/2009 8:25
Re: whitespot #8
If it helps any, get some 25L containers from the supermarket and drain some water into them so you can move your rocks and coral over, once thats out the way drain some more water (you can use this water for your QT) and use two nets or a net and a glass jug. Slowly coax the fix into the net.
Once the fish are in quarantine you've got 4 weeks to set the rocks and corals up again how you like them.
bones bones
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 19/11/2009 11:39
Re: whitespot #9
the white spot has gone, i went away for a few days came back sunday with the task of setting up a quarantine tank on the monday and the white spot had gone the regal was coverd two days before...
i have been feeding with garlic brineshrimp every morning and bought a cleaner wrasse yesterday so at present everything is ok...
thanks
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 19/11/2009 12:52
Re: whitespot #10
Good news
It wasn't white spot if it went away like that, Regal's can develop white spots from nutritional deficiencies similar to acne I guess! They need a meaty vitamin rich food, although neither brine shrimp or garlic are ideal as neither is a natural source of food for them. I do feed mine vitamin enriched brine shrimp on occasion.