2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/10/2009 21:55
water change question #1
Hello.
I have been told that you should always carry out a 10 -15% water change to a pond every week regardless of the water conditions.
What are your opinions please?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 5:59
Re: water change question #2
hmmm, 26 views and no one has an opinion either way?

Let me put it this way

"(In your opinion) Is it true you should change 10 -15% of the pond water every week regardless of if there is a problem or not"

I have been told this is an absolute must and I would like others opinions on it.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 6:47
Re: water change question #3
Patience dear fellow, patience Welcome to FK BTW Most of us are pretty nosey so will read new posts even if we don't know the answer ... I'm afraid I am in that category with ponds But there are plenty of people who will know. Our pond chap has 'issues' with his internet so may not see it for a while, I'll drop him a pm if you don't get any joy in a day or so

In the meantime, can you tell us a bit more about your pond? Any photos? The type of pond will have an impact on whether you may need to do changes so the more info the better
It's Not Just A Fish
Iain_clark Iain_clark
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 8:57
Re: water change question #4
You will probably receive a few opposing opinions on this question, but I am in the 'No' camp.

My pond is replenished by Rain water going directly into the pond or onto an adjacent garage roof (the roof and guttering are both new so I don't believe that there is any problem running the rainwater through the filters and into the pond). The pond has overflows so there is some natural water change when it rains heavily.

Apart from that the only water that I take out of the pond is when cleaning filters out. In dry conditions I top up the pond when necessary using filtered tap water.

My pond is 3,500 gallons, is well filtered, heavily planted and is home to approx 80 fish (mainly variants of Goldfish but also 5 Koi up to 14") and a selection of frogs and newts.

Hope this helps

Iain
rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 10:41
Re: water change question #5
I would say that it depends on the size of the pond and whether it has its own supply of water).

I have a small pond (850 liters) that is raised. I clean my filters by flushing pond water through them every week, and then I top up the pond with dechlorinated tap water (treated with Tetrapond Aquasafe). This replaces maybe 5% of the pond's water.

If it weren't for the need to clean the filters I doubt I would routinely change that much water, but then again I monitor the quality regularly so I have a feeling for how well it is doing.

Hope that helps.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 19:19
Re: water change question #6
Thank you for the welcome.

If any one else has an opinion it would be appreciated.
littleyellowfish littleyellowfish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 19:44
Re: water change question #7
I personally don't have a pond yet but my dad has a really nice one. He's never done a water change in the last 8 or so years he's had it, water conditions are stable. the only maintenance he does really is maintaining the filter and topping up the water if required in summer and keeping the plants in check.
I think in regards to water changes that it would depend on your water parameters on weekly testing to see if it was necessary.

Abi x
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 20:38
Re: water change question #8
Would also help to know size, stock/residents, how long it's been set up, planting (if any) - a lake is a little different to a water feature
It's Not Just A Fish
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 21:14
Re: water change question #9
Thank you suey2, I understand what you are saying, but its irelvant in this case.

I was told you have to change 10-15% of the water every week. (That was said as if it was written in stone)

Thou shalt carry out 10 -15% water change weekly

I am just after peoples opinions as to if it should be done or not. So far its no.

More opinions welcome
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 26/10/2009 21:41
Re: water change question #10
Quote:

2010 wrote:
Thank you suey2, I understand what you are saying, but its irelvant in this case.

I was told you have to change 10-15% of the water every week. (That was said as if it was written in stone)

Thou shalt carry out 10 -15% water change weekly

I am just after peoples opinions as to if it should be done or not. So far its no.

More opinions welcome

Well we're kind of blundering around in the dark at the mo aren't we? Hard to give an opinion when you don't really know what you're giving it on I recommend water changes for goldies in tanks but I'd take a different line for lots in a small tank than I would for a few in a big tank
It's Not Just A Fish