(1) 2 »
sterlet01 sterlet01
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/8/2009 20:20
Planning a Pond #1
I've finished my decking and am planning my pond. The fish that are going in it when I've finished (duh!) are 4 four inch Comets & a small green tench.

The max. area I have to play with is 5ft x 8ft & I was thinking of grading the bottom so the fish have got somewhere deeper to go in winter. What's a good depth to go from & to?

What size pump & filter would I need for something like this? As regards to other fish what else could I have?

Regards

Clare
BigKev BigKev
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 31/8/2009 8:00
Re: Planning a Pond #2
For those fish, you want a depth of 2-3 foot. 2 foot being the absolute minimum. Around the edges you can have a marginal shelf at a depth of 6 - 9 inches.
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 31/8/2009 18:19
Re: Planning a Pond #3
Got to disagree with Kev, 2ft will be too susceptible to temperature fluctuations. Absolute minimum 3ft, aim for at least 4ft.

Pumps/Filters depends how big you decide to go. The pump should turn at least your pond over at least 1.5 times per hour.

You will also need to run a UV alongside your filter. Yamitsu do good UV's.
sterlet01 sterlet01
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 31/8/2009 19:08
Re: Planning a Pond #4
Hello, thanks for your replies :)

Interesting information. I like the idea of a marginal shelf, as I want a good environment for some wildlife too.

What kind of gallonage am I looking at with 5 x 8 ft pond & what other fish (if any) would it allow? I'm thinking it also depends how deep I dig too.

Regards

Clare
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 31/8/2009 20:14
Re: Planning a Pond #5
Sorry but your going have to decide a depth before we can really work those out.

To give you an idea at a depth of 4ft with no shelves you'd be looking at around 1000 gallons. This would be suitable to stock Koi providing you had adequate filtration systems, pumps, air etc.
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 1/9/2009 7:34
Re: Planning a Pond #6
I'd say at least three feet deep for goldfish, four would be better. The pond isn't really going to be big enough to keep koi or orfe properly.

Five by eight feet gives you about 250 imperial gallons per foot of depth (assuming a flat bottom). Figure 30-50 gallons for each adult goldfish, and you won't be overstocked.

A marginal shelf is a good place for plants, but it's also a good place for herons to stand and fish. If you don't want to net the pond or rig other heron deterrents, you should consider making the minimum depth three feet.
sterlet01 sterlet01
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2009 13:40
Re: Planning a Pond #7
I'm with you, I didn't think it'd be big enough for Koi. I read somewhere on here that you need at least 1200 gallons for them. I'd dearly love a sterlet (hence my name) but after reading the caresheets I couldn't offer one a good enough home.

My fish are colourful enough & as long as I keep in mind gallonage per fish (thanks for that too!) I can may be have some other colours in there.

I think I'll try a sloping bottom, one end 3ft going to 4ft. It's not herons I need to worry about it's cats (my own!) so I'll have a look into what deterrents I can use, probably similar to that for herons?

Regards

Clare
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 1/9/2009 17:23
Re: Planning a Pond #8
If you dug it to a constant depth of 4ft+ (formal pond) it will be suitable to stock with a few Koi. It will be more of whats called a "growing on pond" for the Koi, as they will EVENTUALLY outgrow it but believe me it will be a very long time. However if you aren't too confident with fishkeeping this method of keeping Koi probably wouldn't be the best route, so i'd stick with Goldies & the like for now.

Deterrents, sorry but from personal experience & other stories theres no such thing. Only way to put a stop to herons/cats etc is to put a solid mesh over the pond. Believe me deterrents may "seem" to work but it's only a matter of time before something will take your fish.
sterlet01 sterlet01
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2009 19:46
Re: Planning a Pond #9
I suppose the best deterrent would to not have any cats! I wouldn't mind solid mesh if it keeps my fish safe :)

I've now got liner (with a 40yr guarantee) & underlay which is 19 x 16ft. The way I've worked it out it should give me & my fishies a reasonable sized pond. When I've got this set up properly I can then move onto the minefield of pumps, filters & UVs.

Regards

Clare
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 1/9/2009 20:53
Re: Planning a Pond #10
You could always try and build a removable mesh like I did for mine, I wasn't able to find an up to date photo but heres one during the build, you'll get the idea..

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploads/photos0/3763.jpg