Adeybaby Adeybaby
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/8/2009 7:21
My fish #1
hi all hope evey 1 ok just a quick question A while ago my uv bulb went in my fillter so i changed it & its been running ok, but 4 a long time now my fish seem to be always right by the water founting ( all the big older fish) so what i did was drain at lest half the pound & put sum fresh water in just wondering if theres any thin else i cud do to make the water better for them ?

Attach file:

jpg  (720.51 KB)
4839_4a98c98ed18fc.jpg 1944X2592 px
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 29/8/2009 9:59
Re: My fish #2
Hi Adey. Your fish are hanging out under the waterfall because there isn't enough oxygen in the water. Get an air pump and put the diffuser or stone in the center of the pond. The bubbles won't actually add that much oxygen themselves. Most of the air just goes back to the atmosphere. But the turbulence where the bubbles leave the water works in a similar way to your waterfall, and most importantly, the rising bubbles will create a "doughnut" current that will draw oxygen depleted water to the surface and return oxygen enriched water to the depths.

Removing debris or sludge will also help, as the bacteria responsible for decomposition compete with the fish for O2.

Edit: Don't remove too much sludge at once, though. It holds toxic gasses that can kill your fish.
Mitchofmedway Mitchofmedway
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 29/8/2009 15:38
Re: My fish #3
I would agree with the above, maybe some water movement will help.
Resized Image
Adeybaby Adeybaby
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 30/8/2009 7:03
Re: My fish #4
ty very much i am thinking of gettin i fountain in the middle of the pound to that may help ty again
Dale369 Dale369
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 30/8/2009 8:33
Re: My fish #5
Yep, also agree with what's been said above. The flow rate from that waterfall is very poor, what size pump are you running? If the waterfall can handle the extra flow then it may just be a case of upgrading rather than running 2 together.
Adeybaby Adeybaby
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 31/8/2009 6:37
Re: My fish #6
hi all thanks 4 all the coments Yesterday i went out & bought a mini fountain & sum good 5 day water treatment, so far its working very well the fish seem to be swiming aroung quite happy & since i put it in there has been no hanging about ty all